250 killed, 1,800 injured in Iran quakesAugust 12th, 2012 - 1:37 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, Aug 12 (IANS/RIA Novosti) At least 250 people were killed and over 1,800 injured as two powerful earthquakes rocked northwestern Iran, Fars news agency reported Sunday.
A quake measuring 6.2 on the Richter scale struck Ahar city in the East Azerbaijan province at 4.00 p.m. Saturday, flattening homes and buildings in a wide area.
Almost an hour later, another quake with magnitude 6 hit Varzaqan in the same province, causing more destruction.
“(At least) 250 people have been killed and more than 1,800 have been injured,” said Iran’s Deputy Interior Minister Hassan Qaddami.
Thousands were forced to remain outdoors following at least 35 aftershocks. Authorities said a total of 110 villages have been affected.
The deadliest quake in Iran was in June 1990 when a 7.7-magnitude tremor killed some 37,000 people and left over 100,000 injured in the northwestern provinces of Gilan and Zanjan.
- 300 killed in twin quakes in Iran (Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- 90 killed in Iran quake - Aug 12, 2012
- Iran twin quake toll rises to 306 - Aug 13, 2012
- Quake felt 70 km from Iranian nuclear plant - Feb 05, 2012
- 40 killed in Iran quake - Aug 11, 2012
- Big B, Preity pray for Iran quake victims - Aug 12, 2012
- 6,000 displaced in Italy quake - May 22, 2012
- Turkey quake toll rises to 596 - Oct 31, 2011
- Iran earthquake toll rises to 306 dead, more than 3,000 injured - Aug 14, 2012
- Italy quake toll rises to 15 (Lead) - May 29, 2012
- Russia-made amphibious plane crashes in Iran - Jul 30, 2012
- Suicide bomber kills seven at funeral - Aug 19, 2012
- More quakes forecast in Japan - Mar 11, 2011
- Japan quake toll rises to 61 - Mar 11, 2011
- Over 100 hurt in Iran quake - Nov 07, 2010
Tags: aftershocks, authorities, azerbaijan, deputy interior minister, east azerbaijan province, fars news agency, gilan, hassan, magnitude, northwestern iran, powerful earthquakes, quake, quakes, ria novosti, richter scale, tehran, tremor, zanjan