25 Pakistani troopers killed in Taliban attack: ArmyAugust 27th, 2011 - 9:41 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Aug 27 (IANS) Several hundred Taliban militants from Afghanistan Saturday launched a cross-border attack at several border check-points in Pakistan’s northwest tribal region, killing 25 security personnel, the Pakistan Army confirmed. Around 20 militants were also killed in the fighting at these places.
The attack took place in Chitral, a mountainous town in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, Xinhua reported. Chitral borders Afghanistan’s Badakhshan province.
An army statement said the security personnel included 16 from the paramilitary Frontier Scouts, four policemen and five local militiamen from the Levies.
The statement from the army’s Inter-Services Public Relations said 20 terrorists were killed.
An earlier media report said at least 40 Pakistani security personnel and 10 Afghan militants were killed in the attack.
Sources said there were around 400 Afghan militants involved in the attack. The militants attacked the Arson, Dameel Nisar, Bodebar and Mirkani check-posts with rockets and heavy weapons.
One of the places through which the militants entered the Pakistan side was Arendu town, 160 km from the Afghan city of Jalalabad.
Pakistani forces reportedly blew up four bridges in a bid to cut off entry points for the militants.
The army statement said the Taliban militants belonged to Afghanistan’s Kunar and Nooristan provinces. They were aided by militants from Pakistan’s northwestern Swat valley, Dir district and Bajaur region led by Maulvi Fazlullah and Maulvi Faqir Muhammad.
Fazlullah had fled to Afghanistan in 2009, while Faqir, deputy chief of the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan, escaped last year, it said.
- Pakistan lodges protest with Afghanistan over attacks - Aug 28, 2011
- Afghan cross-border attacks can damage relations: Gilani - Aug 28, 2011
- Pakistan deploys troops along Afghan border - Sep 13, 2011
- NATO commander meets Pakistan army chief - Sep 10, 2011
- Pakistan deploys army to stop cross-border attacks - Oct 19, 2011
- Swat Taliban chief Mullah Fazlullah killed in Afghanistan clashes - May 27, 2010
- 3 militiamen, over 20 militants killed in Pakistan clashes - Aug 25, 2012
- Five troopers killed in Pakistan suicide bombing - Dec 24, 2011
- Taliban leader Fazlullah killed in Afghanistan: report - May 27, 2010
- 14 Taliban killed in Afghanistan - Apr 14, 2012
- Over 60 militants killed in Afghanistan - Nov 09, 2011
- Pakistani Taliban set up all-women suicide bombers wing - Dec 29, 2010
- Reports: Pakistani Taliban leader killed in clash with Afghan forces - May 27, 2010
- Three killed, 11 missing after Afghan attack - Apr 26, 2012
- Pakistan protests cross-border attack - Jun 25, 2012
Tags: afghan militants, army statement, arson, badakhshan, cross border, deputy chief, faqir muhammad, four bridges, inter services, jalalabad, khyber, kunar, levies, militiamen, pakistan army, pakistan side, policemen, security personnel, swat valley, xinhua