25 killed in clashes near Lankan air baseNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:39 am ICT by admin
Tamil Tigers military spokesman Rasiah Ilanthirayan was reported as saying that 21 men and women, who are part of a suicide squad, infiltrated the base at Anuradhapura, which falls well inside government-held territory.
The rebels said they still held parts of the base hours after the attack, but the military said it was under their full control.
Military spokesman Brig Udaya Nanayakkara said several men on the ground were killed and many others wounded, while two helicopters were damaged.
Four more airmen were killed when their helicopter sent to provide back-up crashed in the area.
The Tamil Tigers are fighting for a Tamil homeland in the north and east.
The attack on the air force base comes as fighting has intensified on Sri Lanka’s northern fronts.
The rebels reportedly have a small fleet of Czech-made two-seater propeller driven aircraft, which are thought to have been smuggled into Sri Lanka in pieces, reassembled and modified to carry bombs.
Earlier this year, the rebels used such a plane to bomb an air base next to the country’s only international airport, near Colombo. (ANI)
- Disconnect over Sri Lankan airmen being sent back (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Sri Lankan airmen shifted to Bangalore? Send them home, Jayalalitha demands (Fourth Lead, superseding previous story) - Jul 07, 2012
- Sri Lanka admits civilian deaths during separatist war - Aug 02, 2011
- Disconnect over Sri Lankan airmen being sent back (Second Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Disconnect over Sri Lankan airmen's status; Jayalaithaa demands they be sent home (Third Lead) - Jul 07, 2012
- Baby born in helicopter in Sri Lanka - Feb 05, 2011
- Swiss to grill Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka - Jul 27, 2012
- Rajapaksa wants to discuss targeting of Sri Lankans with India - Sep 07, 2012
- Prabhakaran's father dies in military custody - Jan 07, 2010
- Will get Sri Lankan Tamils their rights: Jayalalithaa - Aug 11, 2011
- US military in Sri Lanka on training mission - Aug 16, 2010
- LTTE suicide bomber kills 23 in Sri Lanka (Roundup) - Feb 09, 2009
- LTTE suicide bomber kills 28 in Sri Lanka (Intro Roundup) - Feb 09, 2009
- Colombo to fight poverty with military's help - Dec 22, 2011
- Sri Lanka to operate flights to former rebel stronghold - Jul 21, 2011