25 drug cartel members held in ColombiaJanuary 20th, 2009 - 4:01 am ICT by IANS
Bogota, Jan 20 (IANS) Twenty-five suspected members of a notorious drug cartel have been arrestd in raids on several places across northwestern Colombia, the police have said.National Police Director General Oscar Naranjo told reporters here Monday that the arrested people are suspected of belonging to the drug cartel led by Daniel Rendon Herrera, alias “Don Mario”, EFE news agency reported.
The arrests were made in an operation launched last Friday along the border of Antioquia and Cordoba provinces, Naranjo said.
Some 400 police officers from both provinces took part in the raids, which also led to the discovery and destruction of a score of cocaine laboratories and the seizure of 23 guns.
“What has been proven is that Don Mario’s organisation is a criminal structure serving the drug trade,” said Naranjo, who went to Medellin Sunday with President Alvaro Uribe to report on the operation and meet with regional security officials.
The general said that this was a “fundamental blow” against the gang run by Rendon Herrera, who carries a reward of 3 billion pesos ($1.34 million) on his head.
The refugee was a mid-level commander of the dispersed AUC right-wing militias who boycotted a peace process with the government and formed a new paramilitary organisation.
The AUC, which arose to battle leftist rebels, eventually came to dominate the trade in illegal drugs.
Colombia is the world’s leading producer of cocaine.
- Colombian prosecutor gets 15 years for drug links - Mar 11, 2011
- Colombia's most wanted drug trafficker arrested - Apr 16, 2009
- Colombian soldiers caught carrying cocaine - Jul 06, 2012
- Man gets 24 years for Colombian journalist's killing - Feb 07, 2012
- Drug lord described as `murderer of murderers' killed - Dec 30, 2010
- Seven shot dead on Colombian highway - Jul 09, 2010
- Lion used for debt recovery seized in Colombia - Mar 15, 2009
- Suspect in slaying of Argentine singer nabbed - Mar 14, 2012
- Eight killed in Colombia shooting - Jul 03, 2010
- Gunman kills five in Colombia - Jul 28, 2012
- Judge gunned down in Colombia - Apr 23, 2010
- Colombian military kills about 60 alleged rebels - Sep 21, 2010
- 8 dead, 70 trapped in Colombia mine explosion - Jun 17, 2010
- Spain detains two Colombians suspected of 200 killings - Sep 14, 2010
- 16 killed in Colombia coal mine explosion (Lead) - Jun 17, 2010
Tags: antioquia, director general, don mario, efe news agency, illegal drugs, last friday, leftist rebels, medellin, mid level, militias, naranjo, national police, northwestern colombia, notorious drug cartel, paramilitary organisation, peace process, police director, regional security, rendon, security officials