24,000 fake products seized in UAEMarch 31st, 2012 - 10:00 pm ICT by IANS
Abu Dhabi, March 31 (IANS/WAM) Over 24,000 counterfeit products were seized last year by the Department of Economic Development in Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
Aiming to protect consumers and owners of trademarks and trade agencies, officials made 124,000 field visits in Abu Dhabi in 2011 to inspect shops, companies and malls.
According to the 2011 Annual Report of the Commercial Protection Department, 8,435 fines were slapped on offenders.
Among the violations, 815 business owners failed to display licenses in their offices.
A total of 189 offenders had closed cabins and dark places, or intentionally obscured vision in cafes and restaurants, or had tinted glass that failed to provide sufficient light.
The report said 1,926 offenders were fined for putting up posters, 1,007 for hanging out banners without license and 283 for storing goods outside shops.
A total of 287 offenders were fined for using external spaces without license, 235 for writing down the phrase “Sold items are non-refundable” in the invoice or inside the shops and 275 for failing to distinctly display prices of items.
- Two tonnes of fake cosmetics seized in UAE in 2011 - Feb 13, 2012
- 58,000 Air Traffic Movements in UAE during September - Oct 19, 2011
- Abu Dhabi Ports Company bags environmental award - Nov 20, 2011
- UAE approves new veterinary products - Feb 27, 2012
- UAE heritage on display at Abu Dhabi airport - Jan 25, 2012
- Five tonnes of sub-standard food destroyed in Abu Dhabi - Jul 02, 2011
- Abu Dhabi among top tourist destinations: Expert - Aug 22, 2011
- Greater Flamingo breeds at Al Wathba Wetland Reserve - Aug 14, 2012
- World's heaviest book displayed in UAE - Aug 22, 2012
- Traffic accident deaths decline in UAE - Apr 22, 2012
- UAE, Portugal discuss trade - Jun 12, 2012
- Three tonnes of expired cosmetics seized in UAE - Jul 12, 2010
- 35 tonnes of tobacco seized in Abu Dhabi - Mar 31, 2011
- UNHCR hails UAE's humanitarian efforts - Apr 19, 2012
- Top US official visits UAE - May 21, 2012
Tags: abu dhabi, annual report, business owners, cafes and restaurants, consumers, counterfeit products, department of economic development, dg, invoice, malls, phrase, posters, refundable, tinted glass, united arab emirates, wam