24 more Indian fishermen arrested in Sri LankaFebruary 17th, 2011 - 2:08 pm ICT by ANI
Colombo , Feb 17 (ANI) : Twenty four more Indian fishermen have been arrested by the Sri Lankan Police, taking the total number of arrested Indian fishermen to 136 in the past two days.
The fishermen were apprehended along with their boats on Wednesday by a group of local Sri Lankan fishermen and were later handed over to the Lankan Police.
The latest arrests have triggered protests in Tamil Nadu. Over 5,000 Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) workers, including party MPs Kanimozhi and T K S Elangovan, were arrested when they tried to take out a rally to Sri Lankan Deputy High Commission.
On Tuesday 112 Indian fishermen were detained in Sri Lanka for allegedly straying into the Lankan waters. There were produced in the court of Jaffna on Wednesday. (ANI)
- DMK leaders court arrest during anti-Sri Lanka protest - Feb 16, 2011
- Krishna expresses India's concern at detention of fishermen by Lankan Navy - Feb 17, 2011
- India concerned, hopes Sri Lanka will free arrested fishermen - Feb 17, 2011
- Fishermen's arrest unacceptable, India tells Sri Lanka (Lead) - Feb 16, 2011
- Sri Lanka releases 136 Indian fishermen - Feb 18, 2011
- Over 100 Indian fishermen detained in Sri Lanka - Feb 16, 2011
- Sri Lanka releases Indian fishermen (Lead, changing dateline) - Feb 18, 2011
- Freed Indian fishermen reach home - Feb 19, 2011
- Sri Lanka frees all Indian fishermen after EAM steps in - Feb 18, 2011
- India, Sri Lanka to discuss attacks on fishermen: Krishna - Feb 23, 2011
- India, Sri Lanka to discuss attacks on fishermen: Krishna (Lead) - Feb 23, 2011
- MDMK leader goes on hunger strike protesting against fishermen killings - Feb 06, 2011
- Chinese fishermen detained in Sri Lanka released - Aug 07, 2012
- Fishermen killings: Rao to convey India's concerns to Sri Lanka - Jan 28, 2011
- Vaiko slams Congress for links with DMK despite corruption charges. - Feb 24, 2011