24 injured in China quake (Lead)June 30th, 2012 - 7:16 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, June 30 (IANS) At least 24 people were injured and hundreds of cattle died in collapsed sheds as a 6.6-magnitude quake jolted China’s Xinjiang Uygur region Saturday and toppled several houses, authorities said.
Strong tremors were felt widely in the region, including the regional capital of Urumqi, which shook many residents out of their beds and caused temporary blackouts at 5.07 a.m., Xinhua reported.
According to the China Earthquake Networks Centre (CENC), the temblor’s epicentre was found in a mountainous area along the border of Hejing and Xinyuan counties.
A large number of residential houses were toppled or damaged in Xinyuan county, and hundreds of cattle were killed after their sheds collapsed, said Ili Kazak prefecture government, which administers Xinyuan.
The quake also triggered landslides and caused cave-ins on several national and regional highways in Xinjiang, bringing traffic to a halt.
The CENC has launched an emergency response following the quake and local authorities have sent work teams and organised rescue efforts in the affected areas.
- 35 injured, 64,500 affected in China quake (Second Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- Over 1,400 evacuated after quake hits China - Dec 02, 2011
- Magnitude 6 quake hits China - Mar 09, 2012
- 12 killed in China riots - Feb 28, 2012
- Strong earthquake jolts China (Lead) - Mar 09, 2012
- Moderate earthquake destroys homes, injures dozens in northwest China - Aug 12, 2011
- 12 killed in China riots (Lead) - Feb 29, 2012
- China quake: Toll rises to 67; over 700 injured - Sep 08, 2012
- Muslims celebrate Eid in China - Aug 31, 2011
- Five die in China quake - Sep 07, 2012
- Mudslide at iron mine in northwest China kills 7, buries 21 - Aug 01, 2012
- Toxic gas leak kills five in China - May 09, 2012
- Four found dead after flooding washes away trucks in northwestern China - Jun 22, 2011
- China to recruit 8,000 police officers - Jan 31, 2012
- Chinese police kill seven kidnappers, free hostages - Dec 29, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,