238 missing and 78 dead in New Zealand earthquakeFebruary 24th, 2011 - 2:24 pm ICT by ANI
Wellington, Feb.24 (ANI): Nearly 238 people are reported missing and 78 are dead in Christchurch earthquake.
The 6.3 magnitude quake hit New Zealand’s second largest city on Tuesday and the death toll is likely to rise in the region.
According to police nearly 22 bodies are inside the Christchurch’s Cathedral Square, the stuff.co.nz website reports.
The death toll can rise to as high as 200 after police confirmed that up to 120 people are feared dead at the Canterbury TV building site.
Canterbury district commander Superintendent Dave Cliff said that “number of bodies thought to be in the CTV building ranged from “the high 60s’ to 120 and several more bodies were known to be in the Pyne Gould Corporation building, where the operation was now also a recovery one.”
He further said it is important for police to have an accurate list of missing people to focus more on the ongoing research and rescue efforts.
He said: “This is very much an operation around rescue. We’re looking for the living.’
Police Minister Judith Collins confronts the horror and described the conditions rescue workers are facing, with bodies being pulled “in ones and twos” from the rubble.
He said: “We’ve got 76 at the morgue at the moment and more coming through. I’ve never seen anything like it.” (ANI)
- At least 98 now dead in New Zealand quake - Feb 24, 2011
- New Zealand quake toll reaches 160 - Mar 02, 2011
- 123 dead, 200 missing in New Zealand quake (Lead) - Feb 26, 2011
- New Zealand earthquake death toll rises to 163 - Mar 04, 2011
- 4.8 magnitude aftershock jolts Christchurch - Mar 05, 2011
- New Zealand quake: Toll rises to 123 - Feb 26, 2011
- New Zealand quake toll is 147 - Feb 27, 2011
- 65 die as quake ravages New Zealand city (Third Lead) - Feb 22, 2011
- New Zealand quake toll reaches 155 - Mar 01, 2011
- 25 Chinese missing in New Zealand quake - Feb 27, 2011
- Many dead, scores missing following 6.3 magnitude earthquake in Christchurch - Feb 22, 2011
- Christchurch quake death toll rises to 147 - Feb 27, 2011
- New Zealand quake toll rises to 145 (Second Lead) - Feb 26, 2011
- New Zealand earthquake death toll rises to 123 - Feb 26, 2011
- Rescuers pray for prosperity of Christchurch earthquake site - Mar 02, 2011
Tags: 60s, canterbury district, cathedral square, death toll, district commander, earthquake, gould, judith collins, magnitude quake, missing people, morgue, nz website, ongoing research, police minister, pyne, rescue efforts, rubble, stuff co nz, superintendent, wellington