230 Indians seek asylum in Cyprus: EUMay 9th, 2009 - 11:46 am ICT by IANS
Brussels, May 9 (IANS) Two hundred and thirty Indians were among the 240,000 people who applied for asylum in the European Union last year, the statistical office of the 27-member grouping has said in its latest report.
All of the Indian asylum seekers were registered in Cyprus, according to the Eurostat figures released Friday.
Among the Asian nationals, 7,760 Pakistani nationals have requested for asylum and majority of them (6,915) have registered their applications in Greece, the report said.
A total of 425 people from Sri Lanka and 175 from Bangladesh have also requested for asylum last year, EuAsiaNews reported.
The highest number of applicants were from Iraq (29,000 or 12 percent of the total), Russia (21,100 or 9 percent), Somalia (14,300 or 6 percent), Serbia (13,600 or 6 percent) and Afghanistan (12,600 or 5 percent).
Among the EU nations, France received the highest number of applicants (41,800) followed by Britain with 30,500 applicants, the report said.
Last year, EU granted asylum to 193,690 people from around the world while it granted refugee status to 24,425 applicants.
- Eurozone's retail sales up - Mar 06, 2012
- Britain tops EU asylum seekers' list - Jun 30, 2012
- Thousands of Afghanis, Pakistanis apply for EU asylum - Mar 24, 2012
- Pakistan was world's 8th largest asylum-seeker in 2010 - Apr 01, 2011
- UK has the second highest standard of living - Dec 14, 2011
- EU unemployment rate reaches 14-year high - Apr 02, 2012
- Unemployment rises in Spain - Apr 04, 2012
- EU trade deficit with China declines - Feb 14, 2012
- Euro area inflation jumps to 2.7 percent in March - Apr 15, 2011
- EU's jobless rate jumps to 10.1 percent, consumer prices rises to 1.9 percent - Oct 29, 2010
- EU-India trade up 20 percent - Jan 20, 2012
- Eurozone inflation rate drops slightly to 2.5 percent - Jul 29, 2011
- EU exports to India hit $28 bn - Sep 18, 2011
- EU's retail trade rate decreases by .2 percent - Nov 05, 2010
- China surpasses US as EU's top trade partner - Oct 16, 2011