23-year-old rancher wins $232 million lottery jackpotJune 6th, 2009 - 4:51 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jun 6 (ANI): A 23-year-old American rancher, whose family was in financial difficulties after falling behind on their taxes, struck gold when he won a 232.1-million dollar lottery jackpot on June 5.
Neal Wanless, who lives on his family’s 320-acre ranch near Mission, South Dakota, had bought the ticket from the nearby town of Winner late last month during a trip to buy livestock feed.
The family’s mobile home had also been repossessed, and it was a stroke of luck that he won one of the largest undivided jackpots in US history.
“I want to thank the Lord for giving me this opportunity and blessing me with this great fortune. I will not squander it,” the Telegraph quoted Wanless as saying about his good fortune.
Wanless spent last week baling hay and doing other jobs around his family’s ranch, and he said he intended to continue ranching, albeit on a slightly larger scale.
“It’d be nice if we go for a longer ride than usual on a bigger ranch of our own,” he said he told his horse, Eleanor.
Wanless also added that he intends to use the money to help those in need.
“My family has been helped by the community and I intend to repay that help many times over,” he added.
The total amount he will be taking home in a lump sum payment after taxes are deducted is 88.5 million dollars. (ANI)
- Powerball winner hits jackpot and wins $230 million - Aug 11, 2011
- Hearst zebras killed by angry neighbors - Jan 13, 2011
- 3 Striking But Fugitive Zebras Of The Renowned Hearst Ranch In California Killed By Enraged Neighbors - Jan 13, 2011
- Now you can call an expert home for filing IT return - Jul 24, 2012
- Hearst Zebras Killed by Angry Neighbors in California - Jan 14, 2011
- Ryan O'Neal has prostate cancer - Apr 15, 2012
- KBC winner awaits Rs.5 crore, Big B says cheque ready - Dec 13, 2011
- Breast pumps, lactation supplies are now tax deductible in US - Feb 11, 2011
- Obamas' tax return shows income drop to less than half in 2010 than 2009 - Apr 19, 2011
- Man wins his second lottery in Panama City - May 11, 2011
- KBC winner plans to invest Rs.3.5 crore in real estate - Mar 16, 2012
- Patrice O'Neal dies from stroke complications - Nov 30, 2011
- Montana cow gives birth to triplets - Apr 23, 2011
- Hearst Zebras Killed By "Angry Neighbors" - Jan 13, 2011
- After winning 'KBC' jackpot, Sushil building house for family - Jul 31, 2012
Tags: 1 million, 5 million, acre, dollar lottery, eleanor, financial difficulties, good fortune, great fortune, jackpots, jobs, livestock, london, lottery jackpot, lump sum payment, million dollars, mission south dakota, mobile home, nearby town, stroke of luck, wanless