23 killed as boat sinks in Indian OceanNovember 2nd, 2009 - 10:31 am ICT by IANS
Sydney, Nov 2 (DPA) About 23 people were feared drowned Monday after a boat carrying 40 passengers sank in remote waters of the Indian Ocean.
A search plane was launched from western Australia to join the search for survivors after a liquid natural gas tanker rescued 17 people spotted struggling in the water in the early morning about 1,600 nautical miles (2,900 km) northwest of Perth.
Australia’s Defence Force chief Angus Houston said in Canberra an Australian navy ship was steaming towards the search site but it would take another 28 hours to get to the area, about 650 km northwest of Cocos Islands.
Officials feared for the lives of the missing people as waves in the area were high.
Air Marshall Houston said a Taiwanese fishing boat heard radio calls for help and got to the scene late Sunday night. The Bahamas-registered LNG tanker Pioneer arrived shortly afterwards to join the rescue.
“When the first ship got there this vessel was still intact,” Houston said.
“Somehow or other during the process of the interaction between the ship and the trawler, and also the stricken vessel, there’s been a capsize and people have ended up in the water.”
The Australian Maritime Safety Authority received calls for help from the tanker late Sunday and at daylight dispatched spotter planes.
The sinking came as a string of rickety boats set out from Sri Lanka in recent weeks carrying Tamil refugees, trying to reach Australia.
Australian authorities have yet to determine whether the boat was carrying asylum seekers or their nationality.
- Political furore after refugees drown on way to Australia - Nov 03, 2009
- Migrant ship sinks near Greece - Jan 16, 2011
- Seven kids among dead in Australia boat capsize (Lead) - Dec 16, 2010
- Dominican Republic shipwreck toll rises to 16 - Feb 06, 2012
- Indonesia rescues 120 asylum seekers who refuse to disembark - Apr 10, 2012
- Boat with 200 asylum seekers capsizes off Australia - Jun 21, 2012
- Australia intercepts boats carrying more than 300 asylum seekers - May 07, 2012
- 75 missing as trawler capsizes in Bangladesh - Jul 31, 2011
- 88 bodies retrieved after Indonesia boat disaster - Dec 22, 2011
- Malaysia rescues hijacked tanker - Oct 29, 2011
- Kids cry for help as 27 die in Australia boat capsize (Second Lead) - Dec 15, 2010
- Eleven rescued after Hong Kong cargo ship sinks off Japan - Apr 06, 2012
- 246 survive Papua New Guinea ferry accident - Feb 03, 2012
- 12 feared dead after ferry sinks in eastern China - Aug 17, 2012
- Smart robocopters to ferret out pirates' boats - Apr 09, 2012
Tags: air marshall, asylum seekers, australian authorities, australian maritime safety authority, australian navy, cocos islands, defence force, fishing boat, gas tanker, liquid natural gas, maritime safety authority, missing people, nautical miles, navy ship, perth australia, rickety boats, search plane, spotter planes, sydney nov, tamil refugees