23 die as more mudslides hit ChinaAugust 22nd, 2010 - 3:53 am ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 22 (IANS) At least 23 people have died and 69 are missing after mudslideS hit a remote mountain village in southwest China, Xinhua reported Saturday.
Rescuers have retrieved 11 bodies Saturday, four days after the disaster in Yunnan province.
“The chances of survival for the missing people are slim,” said Hou Xinrong, director of public security bureau in Gongshan county.
Heavy rains hampered the rescue work.
Families of the dead and missing received 10,000 yuan (about $1,400) for each victim from the government.
The tragedy strucks two weeks after a similar disaster in Zhouqu county in northwestern Gansu province left at least 1,434 people dead and 331 missing.
In northeastern Liaoning province, over 64,000 people were evacuated from their homes Saturday after the Yalu river threatened to breach its embankments.
- Dozens missing after mudslides hit town in southwest China - Aug 18, 2010
- 40 dead in China storms - May 13, 2012
- 67 missing in China mudslides - Aug 18, 2010
- Man rescued three days after China mudslides - Aug 11, 2010
- China mudslides toll rises to 1,287 - Aug 19, 2010
- Rain triggered landslide kills 127 in China - Aug 09, 2010
- China mourns mudslide victims, toll rises to 1,248 (Roundup) - Aug 15, 2010
- 702 dead, 1,042 missing in China mudslides (Lead) - Aug 10, 2010
- 67 people declared missing in mudslide hit Chinese province - Aug 18, 2010
- 30 dead in China storm - May 11, 2012
- China's mudslide-hit county crawls back to normalcy - Aug 17, 2010
- China to mourn mudslide victims Sunday, flags to be at half-mast (Lead) - Aug 14, 2010
- Chinese media turns black-and-white to mourn mudslide deaths - Aug 15, 2010
- China moves to prevent further flooding, as rescue continues - Aug 09, 2010
- China to mourn nationwide for mudslide victims Sunday - Aug 14, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,