23 bodies dumped in Mexican stateJune 21st, 2011 - 12:22 pm ICT by IANS
Mexico City, June 21 (IANS/EFE) The bodies of 23 murder victims have been dumped at various locations in the southern Mexican state of Michoacan over the past three days, an official told EFE.
Five men were found shot to death Monday in Paracho, a town about 80 km west of Morelia, the state capital.
The five bodies were left at three different spots in the town, each accompanied by a message claiming responsibility on behalf of Los Caballeros Templarios (Knights Templar), a remnant of the La Familia Michoacana drug cartel, the official said.
Ten bodies were dumped Sunday on roads in the regions of Jiquilpan and Sahuayo, near the border with Jalisco state.
The victims were all males whose hands and feet had been bound, and messages were left with the bodies stating that the killings were a settling of scores.
On Saturday, the bodies of eight murdered men appeared on the streets of Lazaro Cardenas, a port city in Michoacan.
Spiraling violence in Michoacan is blamed on the break-up of La Familia, founded in 2006 and considered one of Mexico’s most powerful drug cartels.
The La Familia faction led by Jesus Mendez is battling the faction led by Servando Gomez and Enrique Plancarte, who formed Los Caballeros Templarios in March, journalists from Michoacan told EFE.
- Police chief murdered in Mexican town - Mar 11, 2011
- Mexican police arrest drug kingpin - Apr 13, 2010
- Mexican mayor vows to continue her work despite attacks - Jan 26, 2011
- Mexican drug boss held - Jun 22, 2011
- 18 bodies found at mass grave in Mexico - Nov 07, 2010
- Beheaded bodies found in Mexico - Dec 25, 2011
- Five policemen killed in Mexico - Jan 31, 2010
- Mexican drug lord Nazario "El Chayo" Moreno Gonzalez reportedly killed by troops - Dec 10, 2010
- Four human heads found in Mexico - Apr 01, 2010
- Cartels have been weakened, says Mexican government - Dec 27, 2010
- Six decapitated bodies found in Mexico - Feb 06, 2010
- Over 2,700 shots fired at Mexican official - Apr 28, 2010
- Drug gang gunfight leaves 10 dead, 18 injured in central-western Mexico - Dec 12, 2010
- Five women decapitated in Mexican city - Apr 25, 2011
- Kidnapped Mexican mayor found dead - Jun 29, 2012
Tags: claiming responsibility, drug cartel, drug cartels, faction, five men, hands and feet, jesus mendez, jiquilpan, la familia michoacana, lazaro cardenas, los caballeros templarios, mexico city, michoacan, morelia, murder victims, paracho, plancarte, remnant, sahuayo, servando