22-year-old wins PS5.8m to become Poker’’s Youngest World ChampionNovember 12th, 2008 - 4:51 pm ICT by ANI
London, Nov 12 (ANI): A 22-year-old man from Denmark has become the youngest player to win the World Series of Poker, raking in more than 5.8 million pounds.
Peter Eastgate won the title after beating 27-year-old Russian Ivan Demidov in the final in Las Vegas, Nevada.
“I guess I haven”t really realized how big this is. It will come in the next weeks or the next days. I will become very emotional at some point, The Telegraph quoted him as telling American newspaper USA Today.
A total of 6,844 players participated in the World Series of Poker’’s main event, which began last July.
In the end there were only nine players left and then in the final Eastgate competed with Demidov.
In the game, Demidov decided to go all in with his 16.45 million chips on two pairs (twos and fours).
But Eastgate, who had more than 120 million chips, won the hand with a straight (ace through five).
Eastgate said: I was lucky he hit two pair… It’’s kind of inevitable when that happens he’’s going all in.”
He further said that it was in high school that he got interested in poker and decided to play online for money rather than going to college.
Eastgate, who was a mathematics fan in school, said he was “fascinated” by the game and its “psychological aspects”.
Earlier his biggest win was almost 30,000 pounds at the Paddy Power 2007 Irish Open. (ANI)
- 21-year-old in the Poker World Series final - Nov 09, 2009
- Delma Kinney wins a $1 million lottery again - Nov 29, 2011
- I had to prove a point to myself: Dhoni - Apr 03, 2011
- Phil Ivey says that investors need to be worried who invested in Full Tilt Poker - Jun 03, 2011
- Laxman credits Upton after scoring hundred in easy situation - Nov 15, 2011
- Full Tilt Poker promos on Sunday - Jun 14, 2009
- Online poker players to get their cash back - Apr 21, 2011
- Djokovic wins Rogers Cup, eyes US Open - Aug 13, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Last chance for Paes and Bhupathi (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
- RCB desperate to return to winning streak - May 05, 2012
- World Series Of Poker 2009 Main Event Begins - Nov 10, 2009
- Tobey Maguire sued for illegal poker game - Jun 23, 2011
- India should open with Gambhir, says Wasim Akram - Oct 15, 2011
- Japanese shuttler wins Russian Open - Jul 01, 2012
- Australian Open: Top seeds advance to second round (Roundup) - Jan 16, 2012
Tags: ace, chips, denmark, eastgate, going to college, ivan demidov, main event, mathematics, next days, old man, paddy power, psychological aspects, series of poker, telegraph, two pairs, usa today, vegas nevada, world champion, world series, world series of poker