22 killed in Guatemala mudslides (Lead)September 6th, 2010 - 1:08 am ICT by IANS
Guatemala City, Sep 5 (DPA) At least 22 people have died in mudslides caused by heavy rains in Guatemala, media reports said.
Fifteen people were killed in one mudslide alone on the Pan-American Highway near Guatemala City. According to eyewitness reports Sunday, numerous other people had been buried.
Rescuers searching for survivors also had to contend with new mudslides, media reports said.
Officials said the Pan-American Highway is no longer drivable, as it has been blocked by mudslides in several areas.
At least 24,000 people have reportedly been evacuated. Rains, floods and mudslides have affected 30,000 people in different regions of the country, with 10 rivers threatening to overflow.
The heavy rains have also led to floods in neighbouring Central American countries and in the south of Mexico, killing dozens of people over the last few days. Forty people had been reported dead in Nicaragua by the weekend and 20 in Honduras.
- 42 dead in mudslides in Guatemala - Sep 06, 2010
- 89 die in Central America rains - Oct 17, 2011
- Eight buried alive as mudslide hits bus - Sep 05, 2010
- 23 die as hurricane rains hit Central America - Oct 13, 2011
- Toll in storm Agatha rises to 100 (Third Lead) - May 31, 2010
- Toll in Guatemala rains rises to 45 - Sep 08, 2010
- Over 600 relocated due to China floods - Jul 14, 2011
- Flooding in northwest Iran kills at least 3 - Jul 18, 2011
- 18 dead in China landslide - Jul 06, 2011
- Beijing braces for more rain - Jul 25, 2012
- 27 dead, 50 missing in typhoon Talas in Japan - Sep 05, 2011
- 73 killed in Guatemala tropical storm - May 31, 2010
- China on highest flood alert, 550,000 evacuated - Jun 17, 2011
- 19 Killed in record downpour in Japan - Jul 13, 2012
- Thousands displaced in Assam flash floods - Aug 15, 2011
Tags: central american countries, different regions, dozens, dpa, eyewitness reports, few days, floods, guatemala city, guatemala mudslides, heavy rains, honduras, mexico, mudslide, nicaragua, overflow, pan american highway, rescuers, rivers, survivors