22 killed in China wildfire (Lead)December 6th, 2010 - 12:05 am ICT by IANS
Beijing, Dec 5 (IANS) A grassland fire in a mountainous Tibetan region in southwest China proved deadly Sunday when it trapped soldiers and local residents trying to douse the blaze, killing at least 22 people, officials said.
The wildfire was raging through a grassland atop a plateau some six km from the county government seat in Daofu County in Sichuan province, Xinhua reported.
Officials said the blaze broke out at noon Sunday and was brought under control at about 3 p.m. However, gusting winds boosted the flames and trapped people fighting the fire.
About 2,000 people have joined the fire-fighting efforts. An emergency medical team has been sent to the scene.
Of the 22 victims, 15 were soldiers, two were workers with the grassland administration while five others were local civilians, officials said.
Daofu sits in a forest-covered area at the eastern edge of Qinghai-Tibetan Plateau. It has a population of 45,000, about 89 percent of whom are ethnic Tibetans.
A string of deadly fires hit China in recent weeks as most parts of the country brace for an especially dry winter.
In the latest tragedy, 58 people were killed in a Shanghai high-rise fire Nov 15.
- Report: At least 22 killed in China grassland fire - Dec 05, 2010
- Two Tibetans set themselves on fire in China - Jun 21, 2012
- Grassland fire kills 22, injures 4 in China - Dec 06, 2010
- Chinese arrested after 17 years for murder - Dec 27, 2011
- Tibetan monk self-immolates in China - Mar 15, 2012
- China blames Dalai Lama for self-immolation - Mar 02, 2012
- Self-immolations: China warns Dalai Lama - Mar 07, 2012
- 100 die in Pakistan as two factories go up in flames (Second Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- China cheers for first Tibetan Olympic medallist - Aug 13, 2012
- 1,300 homes destroyed in Texas wildfire - Sep 09, 2011
- Two self-immolations in Tibet - Mar 05, 2012
- Astronomical observatory to come up in Tibet - Apr 13, 2012
- Five trapped in Mumbai fire - Aug 09, 2012
- Tibetan monk immolates self in China - Aug 15, 2011
- Tibetan nun sets herself on fire in China, dies - Nov 03, 2011
Tags: beijing, blaze, civilians, county government, deadly fires, dry winter, eastern edge, flames, government seat, grassland, medical team, population, shanghai, sichuan province, southwest china, tibetan plateau, tragedy, wildfire, xinhua