22 killed in Baghdad twin blastsNovember 10th, 2008 - 2:58 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad, Nov 10 (Xinhua) At least 22 people were killed and many injured in a double suicide bombing in the Iraqi capital Monday, an interior ministry source said. The twin bombings occurred at about 08.00 a.m. when a booby-trapped car went off followed by a suicide bomber detonating his explosive vest shortly after people gathered to examine the first blast in a marketplace in the Sunni-dominated neighbourhood of Adhamiyah.
The source, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the two blasts were apparently coordinated to cause maximum number of casualties.
At least 22 people were killed and scores wounded by the two blasts, he said.
The powerful blasts also caused damage to several shops, stalls and civilian cars, he said.
Iraqi security forces immediately sealed off the main roads leading to the scene while ambulances and civilian cars evacuated the victims to nearby hospitals.
Suicide attacks by militants are still frequent in the Iraqi capital, though the US military said that the level of violence was at a four-year low.
- Two killed, 11 injured in Iraq blasts - Apr 26, 2012
- 25 killed in Iraq truck bombing - Jul 03, 2012
- 35 killed in twin bomb blasts north of Baghdad - Jul 05, 2011
- 13 killed, 74 injured in series of blasts in Baghdad - May 22, 2011
- 27 killed in Iraq bomb attacks - Dec 22, 2011
- 20 killed, 64 wounded in attacks in Baghdad - Feb 23, 2012
- 29 die in Damascus blasts - May 10, 2012
- 6 killed, 10 wounded in Iraq attacks - Apr 16, 2012
- 12 killed in Iraq bombings - Jul 23, 2012
- 63 killed in Iraq violence (Lead) - Dec 22, 2011
- 40 die in Damascus suicide bombings (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- 28 killed in Baghdad serial blasts (Lead) - Nov 10, 2008
- Six killed in Iraq attacks - Jan 23, 2012
- 25 killed in twin car bomb blasts in Iraq - Jun 21, 2011
- 63 killed in Iraq as violence escalates - Aug 15, 2011