21 tonnes of contaminated Easter candy seized in ItalyApril 23rd, 2011 - 6:03 am ICT by IANS
Rome, April 23 (IANS) Around 21 tonnes of contaminated or damaged Easter eggs and other sweets worth $728,000 have been seized by the police in Italy, a media report said.
After conducting over 850 inspections, health authorities found a large amount of candy covered in mold or parasites, Fox News reported citing Italian news agency ANSA.
Police found that 295 producers across the country followed poor hygiene and food conservation practices and that many products had exceeded their sell-by dates.
Some producers were charged with falsely promoting Easter sweets as handmade when they were actually manufactured commercially.
In Turin, police seized 4,409 pounds of Easter eggs and other sweets from a bakery filled with ingredients and products covered in dust and dead insects, while in Caserta and Cosenza, in southern Italy, seven tonnes of raw materials were seized from three plants and two bakery warehouses that failed to meet health standards.
In Rome, police found 900 cakes falsely labelled as homemade, and another 4,000 pounds of outdated raw materials and stale candies were seized in Bologna and Aosta, in northern Italy.
- Italian police seize expired Easter products worth $2.7 mn - Apr 02, 2010
- Bomb defused at Greek embassy in Rome - Dec 27, 2010
- Bodies of two mountain climbers found - Jul 16, 2012
- Easter egg prices soar, but fervour spreads in Goa - Apr 23, 2011
- Nine held in Italy for links with Turkish Hezbollah - Feb 22, 2012
- Italian politician jumps to death - May 09, 2012
- S&P; downgrades 34 Italian banks - Feb 11, 2012
- Chandigarh promises bitter Diwali for spurious sweet makers - Nov 04, 2010
- Italian top fugitive mafia boss held - Aug 17, 2012
- One tonne cocaine seized in Italy - Aug 19, 2011
- Italy cruise shipwreck toll reaches 16 - Jan 25, 2012
- 500 tonnes of 'cancer-inducing' waste seized in Italy - Jun 25, 2010
- With prayers, feasts, Delhi celebrates Easter - Apr 08, 2012
- Capital celebrates Easter with fun, fervour - Apr 24, 2011
- Easter with largest egg weighing over a ton - Apr 15, 2012
Tags: ansa, aosta, bakery, caserta, conservation practices, cosenza, dead insects, easter candy, easter eggs, fox news, health authorities, health standards, italian news agency, italy rome, northern italy, poor hygiene, raw materials, southern italy, stale candies, warehouses