21 refugees dead, many missing after boats sink off Libya: ReportsMarch 31st, 2009 - 1:44 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, March 31 (DPA) At least two boats carrying hundreds of African refugees sank off the Libyan coast, with 21 bodies and 23 survivors recovered and hundreds more missing, Italian media reported early Tuesday.
One boat was carrying a reported 257 people and the second had 340 on board.
The search for missing was continuing.
The two boats were launched from near Tripoli in the direction of Italy. The causes of the shipwrecks were not immediately known.
Italian television reported that a third boat carrying about 350 was discovered in distress by an Italian freighter.
More than 400 boat people arrived Monday in southern Italy, including a 20-metre wooden boat packed with 249 people when it reached the southern tip of Sicily.
- Hundreds feared drowned off Libya (Second lead) - Mar 31, 2009
- Hundreds of Libyan refugees feared dead after ship sinks off Libya - May 10, 2011
- 150 killed in Mediterranean boat capsize: UN - Jun 04, 2011
- Boat with Egyptian migrants held in Italy - Jun 13, 2012
- Italy to give Libyan rebels 500 mn euros - Sep 02, 2011
- Libya unrest may unleash wave of 350,000 migrants: Italy - Feb 24, 2011
- Dominican Republic shipwreck toll rises to 16 - Feb 06, 2012
- Five migrants found dead in boat near Italy - Mar 17, 2012
- Hundreds missing after migrant boat sinks near Italian island, 50 rescued - Apr 06, 2011
- Eight more bodies found after Italy ship disaster (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- 54 Africans died at sea during voyage to Italy - Jul 11, 2012
- Italy to send ships, planes to ease refugee crisis in Libya - Mar 04, 2011
- Hundreds missing as migrants' boat sinks off Indonesia - Dec 18, 2011
- Abducted Italian journalists kept hostage in Tripoli - Aug 25, 2011
- Gaddafi's $25 mn Italian hotel complex seized - May 17, 2012
Tags: african refugees, dpa, early tuesday, freighter, italian media, italian television, libya, libyan coast, rome march, shipwrecks, sicily, southern italy, southern tip, survivors, tripoli, two boats, wooden boat