20pct recession-hit Brits planning sunbed holidayMay 11th, 2009 - 5:00 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 11 (ANI): The ongoing recession has forced British people to give up sunny holidays and spend more time under tanning lamps, according to a poll.
Almost a third of people surveyed by YouGov have revealed that they were less likely to go on a sunny summer holiday, and almost 19 pct sunbed users plan to spend more time under tanning lamps.
The charity, which runs an annual SunSmart campaign, has warned of the lifetime skin damage caused by sunbeds.
SunSmart campaign manager Katy Scammell said that the intensity of some UV rays from sunbeds could be up to 15 times higher than that of the midday sun.
Moreover, using a sunbed more than once a month or more could increase the risk of skin cancer by more than half.
“Exposure to these rays increases your risk of melanoma, the most dangerous form of skin cancer,” the Daily Express quoted Scammell as saying.
“Not only do the harmful rays increase your risk of skin cancer, but they also lead to premature ageing and the appearance of lines, wrinkles and coarse, leathery skin,” she added. (ANI)
- Women under 30s warned against cancer caused by 'Binge Tanning' - Apr 08, 2009
- Sunbeds 'up risk of melanoma by 41pc' - Aug 05, 2010
- Sunbeds 'double skin cancer risk for teens' - Aug 01, 2010
- Teenagers using sunbeds may develop deadly skin cancer - Aug 02, 2010
- Busting myths about tanning and sun protection - May 25, 2010
- FDA warns vacationers of tanning health risks as Memorial Day weekend approaches - May 26, 2010
- Sunbeds as dangerous as ciggies, booze - Jul 29, 2009
- Red-haired and freckly people most likely to use sunbeds - Apr 29, 2010
- Sunbed-lovers 'risking their eyesight by failing to wear protective goggles' - Aug 17, 2010
- Tanning makes women sexier: Study - Dec 09, 2010
- Sunbeds double skin cancer risk in teens - Aug 02, 2010
- Wrinkles, not skin cancer risk, scare indoor tanners - May 18, 2010
- New research confirms tanning beds increase skin cancer risk - Jun 07, 2010
- Brit men's skin cancer death rates double in 30 years - May 31, 2010
- Keep wrinkles at bay, protect skin from childhood - May 11, 2012
Tags: british people, campaign manager, daily express, harmful rays, leathery skin, melanoma, midday sun, pct, premature ageing, recession, skin cancer, skin damage, summer holiday, sunny holidays, sunny summer, sunsmart, tanning lamps, uv rays, wrinkles, yougov