NSW court jury declares Indian-origin parents guilty for baby’s eczema deathJune 5th, 2009 - 2:02 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, June 5 (ANI): A New South Wales Supreme Court jury of eight women and four retired men took a little over 24 hours to declare a homeopath and his wife guilty of the manslaughter of their baby daughter by failing to get her proper medical treatment.
Thomas Sam, 42, and his wife, Manju Sam, 37, pleaded not guilty to the manslaughter of their nine-month-old daughter Gloria in Sydney.
They were accused of “gross criminal negligence’ by failing to get conventional medical treatment for Gloria, who died three days after being taken to a Sydney hospital on May 5, 2002.
The severely malnourished baby - who had been properly fed - died from an infection her body could not fight because all her nutrition had gone into coping with her extensive eczema.
NSW Justice Peter Johnson is to formally sentence the couple. (ANI)
- Indian-Australian couple jailed for manslaughter of their daughter - Sep 28, 2009
- Man found guilty of killing daughter, now accused of threatening legal team - Jul 02, 2009
- Sydney-based Indian couple held guilty of daughter's death - Jun 06, 2009
- Convicted Oz-Indian homeopath in dock over 'threatening to kill' lawyers, judge - Nov 03, 2009
- Parents more `worried about social activities in India than protecting dead baby's health - May 05, 2009
- Oz homeopath dad admits that he 'failed' his eczema afflicted baby - May 06, 2009
- Indian couple in Australia held guilty of daughter's death (Lead) - Jun 06, 2009
- Michael Jackson doctor found guilty of manslaughter - Nov 08, 2011
- Unable to cope, mother kills baby in Australia - Jul 30, 2010
- U.S. self-help author James Arthur Ray found guilty of negligent homicide - Jun 23, 2011
- Michael Jackson's personal physician convicted of involuntary manslaughter - Nov 08, 2011
- Jury deliberates for fifth day on Patel manslaughter trial - Jun 27, 2010
- Indian-origin woman cleared of murdering husband - Oct 13, 2010
- Indian-origin doctor found guilty of misconduct in Britain - Aug 11, 2010
- Jackson's doctor gets four-year jail term - Nov 30, 2011
Tags: baby daughter, conventional medical treatment, court jury, criminal negligence, eczema, gloria, homeopath, manslaughter, new south wales, new south wales supreme court, nutrition, proper medical treatment, sydney hospital