2,000-yr-old intact carving of Cupid discovered in JerusalemAugust 31st, 2010 - 6:49 pm ICT by ANI
Jerusalem, Aug 31 (ANI): Israeli archaeologists have unveiled a 2,000-year-old semi-precious cameo bearing the image of Cupid from the City of David.
The Israel Antiquities Authorities (IAA) said the item was among several that were found in the archaeological area in Jerusalem’s Old City in the last 12 months.
The cameo, which will be displayed at the 11th Annual City of David Archaeology Conference scheduled to take place later this week, is 1 cm in length and 0.7 cm in width.
It was discovered in the Givati Parking Lot Excavation, a part of the Jerusalem Walls National Park.
The excavation was conducted by the organization under the direction of Dr. Doron Ben Ami and Yana Tchekhanovets and funded by the Ir David Foundation.
“The cameo was made from two layers of semi-precious onyx stone. The upper layer, into which the image of cupid is engraved is a striking blue colour which contrasts with the dark brown background colour of the lower layer,” Haaretz.com quoted Dr. Doron Ben Ami, of the IAA, as saying.
“The brown layer is the side of the cameo which would have been inserted into the round metal setting of a piece of jewellery, apparently an earring.
“Cupid’s left hand is resting on an upside-down torch which symbolizes the cessation of life.
“The discovery, together with other important finds that we uncovered from this unusual large Roman structure at the City of David, contribute significantly to our understanding of the nature of Jerusalem’s Roman Period,” Ben Ami added.
The IAA statement added that the inlaid stone was of the “Eros in mourning” type, one of a group of visual motifs linked with the imagery of mourning practices. (ANI)
- Ancient Hebrew seal found in Jerusalem - May 02, 2012
- Archaeologists discover third century mansion in City of David excavations - Aug 18, 2009
- 1,800 year-old marble figurine found in Israel - Sep 23, 2009
- Archaeologists find 1,300-year-old treasure in Israel - Dec 24, 2008
- An Israeli archaeologists discovered a 2,000-year-old gold earring - Nov 12, 2008
- 3,500-year-old bracelet found in Israel - Aug 03, 2010
- New archaeological find indicates Indo-Roman trade in ancient India - Jul 16, 2010
- Russian mosque has world's largest Quran - Feb 18, 2012
- Ancient water bridge found in Jerusalem - May 12, 2010
- Pam pays tribute to modern women with spring-summer collection (With Image) - Mar 06, 2012
- Archaeologists find ancient swimming pool in Israel - Nov 23, 2010
- Archaeologists discover oldest written document ever found in Jerusalem - Jul 13, 2010
- Archaeologists uncover 1,800-yr-old Roman bathhouse in Jerusalem - Nov 23, 2010
- French team unearths Maurya dynasty wall in Bangladesh - Mar 01, 2011
- 10th century city wall possibly built by King Solomon found in Jerusalem - Feb 23, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,