200 prisoners in UK including murderers, sex offenders released “in error” since 2005November 30th, 2009 - 4:34 pm ICT by ANI
London, Nov 30(ANI): At least 200 prisoners in Britain, including murderers and sex offenders, have been mistakenly released by authorities in the past five years, figures released by Justice Minister Maria Eagle revealed.
According to the figures, 200 prisoners had been let out in error between January 2005 and September this year. They included murder suspect Jason Bethell, who was accidentally released from Chelmsford jail in Essex last week.
It also included, thief Terence Clegg, who was freed from Durham jail in October 2008 after being mistaken for his 51-year-old dad Terence Snr, held in the same prison, and, Raheem Ahmed, wrongly freed in Birmingham in August 2007 after serving a week of a six-month sentence for violent affray.
The blunders were blamed on hard-pressed staff in Britain’s overcrowded jails not having the time to make proper checks.
“These releases can have devastating consequences. As prisons have become more overcrowded, staff overworked and transfers more frequent, the number of erroneous releases has shot up,” The Sun quoted Dominic Grieve, Tory justice spokesman, as saying.”This is as a direct consequence of Labour’s incompetent mismanagement of the justice system,” he added.
Meanwhile, a Prison Service spokesman said: “We have taken action to tighten processes and focus managers’ attention. Prisoners released in error are normally returned to custody by the police to continue to service their sentence.”"None of those released in error during 2009 remains unlawfully at large,” the spokesman added. (ANI)
- Cash-strapped Italy to free thousands of prisoners - Dec 15, 2011
- British police hunt for 30,000 rioters - Aug 21, 2011
- Jailed rapist released early assaults again within weeks - Jun 08, 2011
- Bangladesh frees 1,000 prisoners to ease overcrowding in jails - Aug 21, 2010
- Lindsay Lohan might spend jail term at home - May 12, 2011
- Lockerbie bomber who killed 270 is dead - May 20, 2012
- Freed terrorists face new restrictions in Britain - Nov 08, 2010
- Don't use British jails as hotels: Indian-origin MP - Aug 09, 2012
- Lockerbie bomber's family to sue Scotland over 'medical neglect' in jail: Gaddafi - Dec 03, 2010
- Man jailed for stealing ambulance in Britain - Dec 17, 2011
- Rajapaksa orders release of jailed ex-army chief - May 20, 2012
- Jailed Pakistan cricketers face deportation from Britain - Nov 12, 2011
- Pakistani prisoner in jail after term ends deported - Mar 21, 2012
- Prison overcrowding worsening in Italy - Nov 17, 2010
- Lidsay Lohan violates probation, sentenced to 30 days in jail - Sep 25, 2010
Tags: affray, bethell, blunders, clegg, dominic, essex, justice minister, justice system, mismanagement, murder suspect, murderers, old dad, overcrowded jails, prison service, prisoners, prisons, sex offenders, spokesman, thief, tory