200 prisoners escape in Liberian jail breakDecember 3rd, 2008 - 4:24 pm ICT by IANS
Monrovia (Liberia), Dec 3 (DPA) The Liberian government has put the final number of prisoners who escaped in a mass jail break earlier this week at 200.Speaking to journalists Tuesday, Justice Minister Philip Banks told journalists that more than 20 prisoners were injured while attempting to escape from Monrovia Central Prison on Monday.
The prisoners, mainly armed robbers on remand, had warned prison guards Monday that they would attempt to break out if they did not get a court date before Christmas, reports said.
Banks blamed the jail break on “serious security lapses” and said that only the arrival of riot police, who fired into the air, prevented more prisoners from escaping.
The prison, which is guarded by police and UN peacekeepers, holds nearly 1,000 inmates.
Liberian prisons are renowned for overcrowding and human rights groups have long criticized the government for doing little to improve conditions.
Rights groups also say the government’s inability to prosecute cases leads to overcrowding.
Liberia is still recovering from a 14-year civil war, which ended in 2003.
- Gunfire in Meerut jail as cops, inmates clash, 11 hurt (Lead) - Apr 18, 2012
- Riots in Liberia ahead of presidential poll run-off - Nov 07, 2011
- ArcelorMittal Liberia announces first iron ore shipment - Mar 20, 2012
- 134 Brazilian prisoners escape in two jailbreaks - Nov 28, 2011
- Manhunt launched after 8 escape from Haryana jail - Jan 18, 2012
- Liberia gives clean chit to Indian Consul General - Mar 01, 2011
- Escaped criminal recaptured in Rajasthan - Aug 22, 2012
- Liberia fire football coach - Feb 21, 2012
- Mexico plans to build eight prisons - Feb 23, 2012
- Liberia holds Nigeria to 2-2 draw - Sep 09, 2012
- Six killed in Iraq prison-break attempt - Aug 06, 2011
- Hundreds try to escape during Uruguay prison fight - Feb 07, 2010
- Delhi told to pay damages for Tihar inmate's suicide - Feb 06, 2012
- Probe ordered against Punjab jail official - May 07, 2012
- 350 dead in Honduras prison fire (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012