20 years after crash, pilot’s body found in Bolivian AndesNovember 11th, 2010 - 1:18 pm ICT by IANS
La Paz, Nov 11 (IANS/EFE) The body of a pilot missing for two decades has been recovered from a crash site on a mountain in the Andes near Bolivia’s La Paz city, a media report said.
Benjamin Pabon Galindo’s remains were recovered from Huayna Potosi mountain, where his plane crashed due to mechanical problems. The mountain is located about 25 km from here.
Pabon died in October 1990 while flying a load of beef from the northern region of Beni to La Paz.
The body of the other pilot aboard the plane was recovered in 1997, while Pabon’s remains were located Sunday by climbers hired by his family.
The body was intact with “the clothing and everything”, but it was frozen and broke apart while being pulled out of the pilot’s seat, the crash victim’s father, Carlos Pabon, told the private ATB televsion channel.
The missing aviator was the great-grandson of Rafael Pabon, a hero of the 1932-35 Chaco War and the first fighter pilot in the Americas to win a dogfight in combat.
- Remains of Bolivian pilot found frozen and intact 20 years later - Nov 10, 2010
- Eight die in two plane crashes in Bolivia - Apr 23, 2012
- Pilot killed in drug plane crash in Venezuela - Aug 30, 2012
- Six dead as plane crashes in Brazil - Jan 16, 2011
- 14 bodies found in van in Mexico - Aug 10, 2012
- Bodies of two US mountaineers found in Peru - Jul 30, 2012
- Six killed after plane carrying UN staff members crashes in Bolivia - May 08, 2011
- Bolivia to invest nearly $125 mn in power projects - Mar 18, 2010
- Four die in Guatemala plane crash - May 27, 2010
- Four die in Brazil plane crash - Feb 17, 2012
- Bolivia cancels mining concession - Aug 03, 2012
- Cesar Galindo makes NY Fashion Week a fiesta of colour - Sep 08, 2012
- Brazil plane crash leaves 16 dead - Jul 14, 2011
- Lawmaker dies in Brazil plane crash - Feb 27, 2012
- Bolivia to withdraw from UN drug convention - Jun 24, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,