20 Taliban fighters lay down armsJanuary 16th, 2012 - 3:12 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, Jan 16 (IANS) Twenty Taliban fighters, among them a key rebel commander, Monday laid down arms in eastern Afghanistan to join a government peace process.
The militants, led by commander Mullah Khadimul Furqan, have laid down arms in Ghazni province, 125 km from Kabul.
This development will further improve the security situation, provincial governor Musa Khan Akbarzada said at the ceremony to welcome the former insurgents.
He added that more militants would join the peace process in the future, Xinhua reported.
Mullah Furqan and his associates were active in the province’s Dayak district.
“Since war is not the solution to Afghan problem, I have decided to join peace process and I am also calling on other armed oppositions to follow in the steps and give up fighting,” Mullah Furqan said.
- Over 40 Taliban surrender in Afghanistan - Apr 26, 2012
- 30 Taliban surrender in Afghanistan - Jan 30, 2012
- 20 Afghan militants lay down arms - Apr 18, 2012
- 100 Taliban militants give up fighting - Jul 18, 2012
- 16 Taliban surrender in Afghanistan - May 01, 2012
- Taliban commander among five killed in Afghanistan - Aug 16, 2010
- 50 Taliban rebels lay down arms in Afghanistan - Dec 20, 2011
- Taliban free Turkish engineers after eight months - Sep 04, 2011
- 110 militants surrender in Afghanistan - Aug 25, 2011
- 27 Taliban militants surrender in Afghanistan - Jan 22, 2012
- Over 100 Taliban militants surrender in Afghanistan - Nov 04, 2010
- 11 militants killed in Afghanistan - Mar 06, 2011
- 22 Afghan militants give up arms - Mar 04, 2012
- 14 militants lay down arms in Afghanistan - Jun 20, 2010
- 30 militants lay down arms in Afghanistan - Jun 14, 2010