20 killed in Bolivia accidentApril 20th, 2012 - 9:21 am ICT by IANS
La Paz, April 20 (IANS) At least 20 people were killed and more than 30 injured when a bus lost control and fell into a river canyon in Bolivia, Xinhua reported Friday.
The accident took place in Las Yungas, north of Bolivian capital La Paz, police said Thursday.
Bus driver Marcos Sanjines, who was among the survivors, said the brakes malfunctioned and the bus slid off the road, slipping some 50 metres into the canyon.
The route, one of the few that connects coca-growing communities such as La Asunta in Bolivia’s Amazon region with the capital, is one of the country’s most dangerous, with some 80 km known locally as the “roads of death”.
- Six killed after plane carrying UN staff members crashes in Bolivia - May 08, 2011
- 15 dead in Bolivia accidents - Jun 25, 2010
- UN officials on missing plane found alive in Bolivia - May 07, 2011
- Eight killed in Bolivia bus collision - Jan 17, 2012
- 25 killed in Bolivia accident - Jun 27, 2010
- UN chief mourns death of staff in Bolivia plane crash - May 09, 2011
- 17 dead, 15 injured in Bolivia road accident - Jun 02, 2008
- 'Jindal's steel and power project will transform Bolivia' - Jun 16, 2011
- Bolivian firm introduces coca-based soft drink - Jan 19, 2011
- Bolivian army to sell bread to prevent shortages - Jan 01, 2011
- 10 killed in Bolivia road accident - Aug 10, 2009
- 28 dead, 10 injured in bus accident in southern Bolivia - Jun 28, 2011
- Bolivia nationalises Spanish-owned firm - May 02, 2012
- Bolivian president asks UN to support coca farming - Mar 13, 2012
- Remains of Bolivian pilot found frozen and intact 20 years later - Nov 10, 2010