20 die in Mexico prison fightOctober 16th, 2011 - 11:35 am ICT by IANS
Mexico City, Oct 16 (IANS/EFE) A fight among inmates at a prison in the northeastern Mexican state of Tamaulipas Saturday left 20 dead and 12 injured, officials said.
The state’s Public Safety Secretariat said in a communique that the incident occurred early Saturday when a fight broke out between two inmates and soon other convicts jumped into the fray.
The officials gave no further details in their two-paragraph communique.
The jail in Matamoros, a city located across the Rio Grande from Brownsville, Texas, was March 25, 2010 the scene of a jailbreak by 40 prisoners.
Brawls in Mexican jails are particularly frequent in northern Mexico.
On Thursday a fight between two groups of drug traffickers left seven dead and three seriously injured in the prison at Cadereyta, Nuevo Leon state, near Tamauilipas.
Both states have been racked by drug-related violence pitting the Gulf cartel against former allies Los Zetas.
- Mexican involved in killing of 49 people arrested - Aug 04, 2012
- 85 prisoners escape from Mexico jail - Sep 11, 2010
- 44 die in fight at Mexican prison (Lead) - Feb 20, 2012
- Report: 71 inmates escape in mass jail break in Mexico's drug-plagued north - Sep 11, 2010
- Mexico ships 273 inmates to island prison - Oct 24, 2011
- 41 Mexican guards to go on trial for jailbreak - Dec 29, 2010
- 49 mutilated bodies found on Mexican highway (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- Prison fight in northern Mexico leaves 20 inmates killed - Oct 17, 2011
- Two tonnes of marijuana found in Mexican cemetery - Jul 30, 2012
- Three killed in latest prison riot in northern Mexico - Feb 22, 2012
- 14 dismembered bodies found in Mexico - Jun 09, 2012
- 29 prison personnel held over Mexico massacre - Feb 24, 2012
- 41 guards arrested over Mexico prison escape - Dec 22, 2010
- Four die in Mexico prison fight - Jan 30, 2012
- 31 killed in Mexico prison fight - Jan 06, 2012
Tags: brawls, brownsville texas, cadereyta nuevo leon, convicts, drug traffickers, gulf cartel, inmates, jailbreak, jails, los zetas, march 25, matamoros, mexican state of tamaulipas, mexico city, northern mexico, nuevo leon state, prisoners, public safety, rio grande, secretariat