20 Afghan police killed in Taliban ambush (Lead)January 1st, 2009 - 6:40 pm ICT by IANS
Kandahar, Jan 1 (Xinhua) At least 20 Afghan security personnel were killed after a group of Taliban insurgents ambushed the convoy of a district chief in southern Afghanistan, an official said Thursday.The militants carried out the attack on the convoy of Mullah Abdulsallah, chief of Musa Qala district, in a remote area of Hemland province, killing at least 20 security guards, Dawud Ahmadi, the spokesman for provincial governor, said.
Abdulsallah was returning from Kajaki district to Musa Qala when his convoy was ambushed, Ahmadi said, adding that Abdulsallah escaped unhurt in the gun battle.
“Those militants disguised themselves in police uniforms and drove police vehicles while carrying out assaults,” he added.
“The investigation is going on at the battlefield.”
Meanwhile, a Taliban spokesman Qari Yusuf Ahmadi took the responsibility for the attack saying the outfit has killed some 30 security guards in the ambush.
Hemland, the strong-hold of Taliban militants, has seen security deterioration over the past 2008, despite 8,000 British troops having been deployed there.
Conflicts and Taliban-linked insurgency have left more than 5,000 people dead with some 2,000 civilians and 293 foreign troops died in 2008 in the militancy-plagued Afghanistan.
- Dozens killed after militants ambush NATO convoy in western Afghanistan - Mar 30, 2012
- 22 Taliban, five cops killed in Afghan attack - Jul 08, 2012
- 20 Taliban killed in Afghanistan - Apr 24, 2012
- Afghanistan: Suicide bomber kills NATO troops, children near market - May 21, 2012
- 11 militants killed in Afghanistan - Mar 06, 2011
- 20 Afghan policemen killed in Taliban ambush - Jan 01, 2009
- NATO helicopter crashes in southern Afghanistan, killing 11 - Aug 17, 2012
- 16 foreign troops killed in single day in Afghanistan - Oct 29, 2011
- Taliban kill 25 road crew guards in Afghanistan - Aug 21, 2010
- Bloodshed at picnic: 17 Afghan civilians killed by Taliban - Aug 27, 2012
- Four NATO troops killed in Afghan crash - Jun 09, 2010
- 10 Afghan soldiers killed in Taliban ambush - Oct 06, 2009
- 13 killed in Afghanistan - Jun 30, 2010
- Roadside bomb kills police chief in southern Afghanistan - Nov 08, 2011
- Seven die in Afghanistan blast - Feb 28, 2012