2-year-old Indonesian boy’s addiction to ciggies sparks outrageMay 28th, 2010 - 5:21 pm ICT by ANI
New York, May 28 (ANI): Two-year-old Sumatran boy Ardi Rizal’s two-pack-a-day cigarette habit has sparked outrage, prompting an American anti-smoking group to call upon the Indonesian government to take urgent action.
“It’s clear the parents of this baby don’t understand the risk smoking poses to their child,” the New York Daily News quoted Matthew Myers of the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids in Washington, D.C., as saying.
He added: “This reflects a pervasive problem in many low-income countries where tobacco companies market their products to an uneducated public,” Myers said.
Ardi, who lives in the fishing village of Musi Banyuasin, in Indonesia’s South Sumatra, was given his first cigarette by his dad at just 18 month old.
His mum, Diana, understands her son has a problem.
She said: “He’s totally addicted.
“If he doesn’t get cigarettes, he gets angry and screams and batters his head against the wall. He tells me he feels dizzy and sick.”
But Ardi’s father, Mohammad Rizal, is unfazed by his son’s smoking habit.
“I’m not worried about his health, he looks healthy. He cries and throws tantrums when we don’t let him smoke. He’s addicted,” the Telegraph quoted him, as saying.
Seto Mulyadi, chairman of Indonesia’s child protection commission, says parents who smoke and aggressive advertising are responsible for the rise in the number of child smokers.
He said: “A law to protect children and passive smokers should be introduced immediately in this country.” (ANI)
- Indonesian boy, 2, addicted to cigarettes! - May 22, 2010
- 2-year-old Sumatran smokes 40 cigarettes a day - May 27, 2010
- 2-Year-old Indonesian Toddler Is Addicted To The Evil Of Smoking - May 29, 2010
- Smoking Toddler Addicted To 40 Cigarette A Day - May 29, 2010
- Video Of Two-Year-Old Smoking Horrifies Viewers - May 28, 2010
- Brazil bans smoking in public spaces - Dec 16, 2011
- Smoking Baby Ardi Rizal Kicks The Habit, Thanks To Rehab - Sep 03, 2010
- Scary pictures not to dissuade Russian smokers: Poll - May 13, 2012
- Indonesian clinic alleges that smoking cures cancer - Apr 13, 2011
- Indonesian kid smokes cigarettes since age four - Mar 23, 2012
- Anti-smoking groups laud Obama's efforts to kick the butt - Mar 02, 2010
- Two-year-old kicks the butt - Sep 03, 2010
- Smoking boy, 2, kicks the butt - Sep 03, 2010
- Lawmakers get tough on smoking - Jan 14, 2012
- Harvey Weinstein was almost arrested for smoking in plane bathroom - Mar 08, 2011
Tags: banyuasin, campaign for tobacco free kids, child smokers, cigarette habit, fishing village, indonesian government, low income countries, matthew myers, new york daily news, pack a day, passive smokers, pervasive problem, rizal, s child, s south, smoking habit, south sumatra, sparks outrage, tobacco companies, tobacco free kids