2 children die in Colombia landmine blastApril 20th, 2011 - 1:39 pm ICT by IANS
Bogota, April 20 (IANS/EFE) Two children died and their father was seriously wounded after stepping on a landmine on a country road in the northwestern Colombian province of Antioquia, the military said.
A communique from the army’s ANNE news agency said that the explosion occurred near the hamlet of Toledo at a time when the youngsters - aged 11 and 15 - and their father were going for a walk.
Army sappers rushed to the scene and began checking the area in order to clear away other explosives believed to have been planted there by members of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or FARC, the country’s largest insurgency group.
The army said that it will file new accusations against the FARC for these incidents because they violate human rights and international humanitarian law.
At the beginning of this month, Colombia commemorated the 9,133 victims of anti-personnel mines since 1990, of whom some 7,000 have survived though most of them were left mutilated or blind.
The Andean nation is second only to Afghanistan in the number of landmine casualties.
Daniel Avila, director of the Colombian presidential programme for Comprehensive Action against Anti-personnel Mines, said that about 10 percent of the victims have been children.
Sixty-five percent of landmine victims were members of security forces, according to the Colombian government.
- Colombian troops kill rebel blamed for 84 deaths - Apr 18, 2012
- Two Colombian rebels killed by their own bomb - Jun 08, 2012
- Colombian police seize seven tonnes explosives - Apr 07, 2011
- 2,000 land mines found in Colombia in 2011 - Sep 19, 2011
- Over 1,000 landmines found in Colombia - May 26, 2010
- Colombian rebels recruited teenagers, says activist - May 19, 2012
- Mudslide kills six in Colombia - Sep 28, 2011
- Colombian rebels set condition for freeing French reporter - May 08, 2012
- Guerrillas use dead body in attack in Colombia - Dec 08, 2011
- Bomb strapped to horse wounds two Colombian soldiers - Jul 12, 2011
- Soccer player slain in Colombia - Jun 12, 2012
- Colombian rebels say they're holding French reporter - May 02, 2012
- Colombian rebels say they are holding French reporter - May 07, 2012
- Colombian rebel, presumed dead, appears in TV interview - Aug 02, 2012
- Five Colombian cops die in plane crash - Jul 29, 2011
Tags: accusations, andean nation, armed forces, avila, bogota, casualties, colombian government, explosion, explosives, farc, hamlet, human rights, international humanitarian law, landmine blast, landmine victims, news agency, personnel mines, revolutionary armed forces of colombia, security forces, youngsters