192 militants killed in Russia’s North Caucasus in 2007April 10th, 2008 - 11:27 pm ICT by admin
Grozny (Russia), April 10 (RIA Novosti) A total of 192 militants and armed gang members were killed and more than 700 arrested in anti-terrorist operations in Russia’s North Caucasus last year, a deputy interior minister said Thursday. A total of 17 armed criminal groups were eliminated and 28 of their leaders were killed in the region during the year, Deputy Interior Minister Arkady Yedelev said.
According to police reports, some 103 militants have been arrested or killed in Chechnya since the start of this year.
Yedelev also said that the number of terrorist attacks had significantly reduced over the past year: “Last year 11 terrorist attacks were registered against 39 in 2006.”
He added that abductions in the republic had also decreased over the past two years, signaling a breakthrough in the situation surrounding kidnappings.
Although the active phase of the North Caucasus anti-terrorist campaign officially ended in 2001, periodic bombings and clashes between gunmen and federal troops still disrupt Chechnya and nearby regions, including Daghestan, Ingushetia, Kabardino-Balkaria, and Karachayevo-Circassia.
- Blast rocks Russia's North Caucasus - Nov 26, 2010
- Six policemen killed in Russia attack - Sep 06, 2012
- Russian official survives murder attempt - May 29, 2012
- Five police officers killed in Russia's volatile North Caucasus - Feb 02, 2011
- Over 30 militants killed in Chechnya this year - May 20, 2008
- Two militants killed in Russia - Oct 23, 2010
- Amnesty slams Russia for human rights violation - May 13, 2011
- Major terrorist attack foiled in North Caucasus - Jan 05, 2010
- Terror attack foiled in Russia - Mar 14, 2012
- Three bombs defused in Russia's North Caucasus - May 23, 2011
- Car bomb kills four in Russia - Sep 28, 2011
- Woman suicide bomber held in Russia - Feb 05, 2012
- Russian investigator survives murder attempt - Jun 03, 2012
- Two police officers among 12 killed in Chechnya - Aug 29, 2010
- At least four dead after shooting in Russia's Chechen parliament - Oct 19, 2010
Tags: abductions, arkady, armed gang, chechnya, circassia, criminal groups, deputy interior minister, federal troops, gang members, grozny russia, gunmen, kabardino balkaria, kidnappings, nearby regions, north caucasus, police reports, ria novosti, terrorist campaign, terrorist operations, year 11