190 m pound ski resort may open in Himalayas in 2012June 12th, 2009 - 2:12 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, June 12 (ANI): The first major ski resort in the Himalayas could be open by 2012 and attract up to two million people a year, its Indian developers have said. The 190 million pound Himalayan Ski Village (HSV) in the Dhauladhar region will cover 6,000 acres of mountainside with five miles of lifts and four hotels with 500 five-star rooms.The team behind the project includes Alfred Ford, the great-grandson of Henry Ford, the automobile pioneer. Funds have been raised from private investors, most of whom work in the City of London.
According to The Telegraph, the group’s ultimate aim is to host the Winter Olympics.
The resort’s developers are, however,facing opposition from villagers of the Himachal valley who claim their traditional lifestyle will be hit by the influx of tourists.The Bharatiya Janata Party is also opposed to the resort.
“We are against the proposed project as it will take away our rights on natural resources, livelihood and deteriorate the environment,” the paper quoted Maheshwar Singh, a former MP from the BJP, as saying.
“It’s against local culture and it hurts the sentiments of the people, the majority of whom are dependent upon natural resources for their livelihood. The proposed project would force the locals to migrate to other areas,” he added. (ANI)
- Himachal gives show-cause notice to Ford's Ski Village project - Dec 04, 2009
- Himachal court allows Ford to construct ski resort - Jun 29, 2012
- We don't want ski village, Himachal residents tell officials - Jun 06, 2009
- Himalayan Ski Village project delay costs state dearly - Jul 08, 2012
- Solang has great snow, but lacks professional touch: Skiers - Feb 29, 2012
- Age is no bar for adventure in Solang Valley - Feb 11, 2012
- Himachal's snowy slopes invite skiers (With Image) - Jan 11, 2012
- Involve people to conserve Himalayas, stop big dams: Environmentalists - Sep 13, 2010
- Himalayan rally of another kind - Apr 06, 2011
- Rural poverty alleviation project for northeast approved - Nov 16, 2011
- Clamour against hydropower grows louder in Himachal - Jun 30, 2011
- Need joint efforts to save Himalayas: Eco-activists - Sep 09, 2012
- Solang Valley, India's newest destination for adventure sports(With Image) - Feb 18, 2012
- Foreign skiers crowd Manali slopes - Feb 06, 2012
- Eco concerns land mega Himachal projects in jeopardy - Dec 16, 2010
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp, city of london, henry ford, himachal, himalayas, hsv, influx, livelihood, mountainside, pioneer funds, private investors, proposed project, sentiments, ski resort, ski village, star rooms, traditional lifestyle, two million, winter olympics