19 soldiers implicated in plane theft in HondurasNovember 7th, 2010 - 4:28 pm ICT by IANS
Tegucigalpa, Nov 7 (IANS/EFE) At least 19 soldiers were implicated in the theft of a plane from a Honduran air base last week, officials said.
The aircraft had been seized from drug traffickers two years back.
The people who participated “directly or indirectly” in the theft of the aircraft from the Armando Escalon Air Base in the northern city of San Pedro Sula will be brought to justice, Honduran Defence Minister Marlon Pascua said Saturday.
Pascua said he and armed forces commander General Carlos Cuellar presented President Porfirio Lobo “a detailed report on the disappearance of the aircraft”.
The twin-engine plane, which was in the custody of the air force, is one of many that Honduran authorities have seized from drug traffickers in recent years.
It was stolen Oct 31 by at least five armed men who entered through the back entrance of the base, located at the Ramon Villeda Morales International Airport.
The assailants overpowered the guards, boarded the aircraft and flew away, according to the defence and security ministries. They said the plane had fuel for half hour’s flight.
According to local media, drug traffickers may have paid some $400,000 for last Sunday’s operation.
The accused will be tried before either a civilian or military court, Cuellar said.
- Honduras prison fire: President vows full investigation - Feb 16, 2012
- One killed as drug plane makes forced landing in Honduras - Jul 04, 2012
- Shooting at Honduran detention center kills 9 - Oct 16, 2011
- Honduran police find burnt aircraft - Dec 20, 2011
- Honduran army admits theft of grenade launchers - Feb 09, 2012
- Ricky Martin expresses solidarity with flood victims - Oct 18, 2011
- Police seize 460 kg of cocaine in Honduras - Oct 08, 2010
- Cops beat protesting journalists in Honduras - Dec 14, 2011
- Suitcase containing $600,000 seized in Panama - Aug 02, 2011
- US Coast Guard seizes ship with 3.5 tonnes cocaine - Aug 06, 2010
- Deadly prison fire an accident: Honduras - Feb 22, 2012
- Chinese firm to build hydro-power plants in Honduras - Sep 10, 2010
- Honduran journalist's killer gets jail term of 28 years - Sep 12, 2012
- Impounded plane stolen in Colombia - Jun 12, 2012
- Former Honduras president says US behind coup against him - Jun 29, 2010
Tags: armando, armed men, assailants, back entrance, commander general, defence minister, disappearance, drug traffickers, honduran authorities, honduras tegucigalpa, last sunday, local media, military court, oct 31, pascua, porfirio lobo, ramon villeda morales, san pedro sula, twin engine plane, villeda