19 killed in triple suicide bombings in Iraq (Lead)July 28th, 2008 - 3:28 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad, July 28 (DPA) At least 19 people were killed in three suicide attacks carried out in quick succession amid a crowd of Shia pilgrims by female bombers in the Iraqi capital Monday, security sources said. More than 43 people were wounded as hundreds of thousands of Shia Muslim pilgrims poured into the capital for a religious event.
The bombers wearing explosive belts blew themselves up targeting pilgrims who were on their way to a Shia shrine at three sites in central Baghdad, a security official told the Voices of Iraq news agency.
An earlier media report said at least 10 people were killed by three female bombers.
Hundreds of thousands of pilgrims are heading to the Kazimyah shrine in north-western Baghdad to mark the death of a revered Shia imam. The event will start Tuesday.
Thousands of Iraqi forces along with US reinforcements have been deployed in the area as Kazimiyah was the site of previous attacks on pilgrims.
A team of female guards has been deployed for the first time in order to search women for bomb vests.
Seven pilgrims on their way to the shrine Sunday were shot dead by unknown assailants. The attacks occurred in the town of Madain, south of Baghdad.
Female suicide bombers up to now have been mainly active in the east-central province of Diyala, causing the US military there to set up an all-woman citizen’s brigade that searches women for explosives.
- Women suicide bombers kill 40 in Iraq (Third lead) - Jul 28, 2008
- Suicide bomb attacks kill 30 in Iraq (Second Lead) - Jul 28, 2008
- 55 killed, 126 injured in Iraq attacks (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Three die, 30 hurt in Iraq bombings - Dec 12, 2010
- Suicide bomber kills 53 in Iraq - Jan 15, 2012
- 12 killed in Iraq suicide attack - Feb 21, 2011
- 20 killed, 125 wounded in Iraq car bombing (Lead) - Jun 04, 2012
- Female suicide bombers kill 47 in Iraq (Fourth lead) - Jul 28, 2008
- 60 dead in attack on Iraqi Shias, bombings (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Iraq suicide blast toll rises to 33 - Feb 13, 2011
- 50 killed in Iraq suicide bombing (Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
- 28 die in Baghdad blast - Jul 08, 2010
- Two US soldiers among five killed in Iraq explosion - Jun 11, 2010
- Bombings kill 40 Shiite pilgrims in Iraq - Jul 27, 2010
- 25 killed, over 170 wounded in Iraq attacks - Mar 20, 2012
Tags: assailants, bombings in iraq, central baghdad, central province, diyala, female suicide bombers, iraq news, iraqi capital, iraqi forces, madain, muslim pilgrims, reinforcements, religious event, security official, security sources, shia muslim, suicide attacks, suicide bombings in iraq, voices of iraq, woman citizen