19 civilians killed, 75 wounded in LTTE firingFebruary 10th, 2009 - 7:22 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, Feb 10 (IANS) At least 19 civilians were killed and 75 wounded when Tamil Tiger guerrillas fired at hundreds of civilians fleeing Sri Lanka’s war zone, the defence ministry said Tuesday.
The ministry accused the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) of carrying out this “cowardly attack at the civilians seeking refuge with the soldiers in Udayarkattukualam Tuesday morning”.
It said the dead included two children, five women and 12 men. Another 28 children, 30 women and 17 men were injured.
It said that 1,046 Tamil civilians had reached a military-held area northeast of Udayarkattukulam in Mullaitivu district “amidst raging LTTE small arms fire”.
The troops immediately flew out the critically wounded civilians to Anuruadhapura and Vavuniya towns.
It was the second attack of its kind in as many days. Thirty soldiers and eight civilians were killed Monday when a female suicide bomber exploded herself in the midst of Tamils trying to leave the war zone.
The bomber blew herself up when the soldiers were frisking the civilians entering government-held areas in Mullaitivu district.
The attack has drawn worldwide condemnation. The UN demanded that the civilians “must be distinguished from combatants and protected from the fighting”.
There has been no word from the LTTE on the two killings.
- LTTE female suicide bomber kills 23, wounds 64 (Fourth Lead) - Feb 09, 2009
- LTTE suicide bomber kills 23 in Sri Lanka (Roundup) - Feb 09, 2009
- LTTE suicide bomber kills 28 in Sri Lanka (Intro Roundup) - Feb 09, 2009
- 17 killed, 45 wounded in LTTE suicide explosion in Sri Lanka (Third Lead) - Feb 09, 2009
- Red Cross evacuates 240 wounded civilians from LTTE-held areas - Feb 10, 2009
- Air Force choppers escape LTTE missile attack: Sri Lanka - Mar 25, 2009
- Sri Lanka denies using chemical weapons against LTTE - Apr 09, 2009
- Rebels attack ship in Sri Lanka - Mar 09, 2009
- It is impossible for Prabhakaran to flee now: Military (Lead, Changing dateline) - Apr 24, 2009
- LTTE-run police post, court centre captured: Sri Lanka - Mar 16, 2009
- UN concerned over civilians trapped in Sri Lanka war (Lead) - Apr 07, 2009
- Withdraw army from Sri Lanka's northeast, says TULF (Lead) - Jun 17, 2011
- Five farmers killed in LTTE attack - Mar 25, 2009
- Credible allegations of war crimes in Sri Lanka war: UN report - Apr 26, 2011
- LTTE attack thwarted, five cadres killed: Sri Lankan military - Mar 23, 2009
Tags: 12 men, combatants, condemnation, cowardly attack, defence ministry, female suicide bomber, five women, killings, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, liberation tigers of tamil eelam ltte, midst, small arms fire, sri lanka, tamil civilians, tamil tiger guerrillas, tamils, tiger, tuesday morning, war zone