18 soldiers killed in Pakistan suicide bombing (Second Lead)April 18th, 2009 - 7:27 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, April 18 (DPA) A suicide car bomber attacked a military convoy and checkpoint in northwestern Pakistan Saturday, killing at least 18 soldiers and two civilians, a senior police official said.
The bomber rammed his explosives laden car into a security wall around the army post when a military convoy was passing by in Doaba town of the restive Hangu district.
“It was a suicide bombing. The deaths of 18 security personnel and two civilians have been confirmed,” said deputy police superintendent Farid Khan.
“Ten more people were injured,” he added.
The blast was so huge that it damaged 10 vehicles of the army convoy and one police van parked near the post.
The security forces cordoned off the area following the blast and the injured were moved to a local military hospital. Some of the victims were reportedly in critical condition.
No one has claimed responsibility for the attack but Taliban militants from the adjoining lawless tribal region have recently carried out several attacks on security personnel and government officials in Hangu.
- Suicide, remote-controlled bombings kill 24 in Pakistan (Third Lead) - Apr 18, 2009
- Bombings kill 31, including 25 troops, in Pakistan - Apr 19, 2009
- Damascus bombings toll rises to 55 (Second Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Twin suicide bombings kill 48 in Lahore (Second Lead) - Mar 12, 2010
- Pak security forces foil terror plan in Hangu, recover explosive-laden vehicle - Dec 25, 2010
- Nine killed, 30 injured in suicide bomb attack on police van in northwest Pak - Mar 03, 2011
- Six killed, 44 wounded in Kabul suicide attack - Aug 18, 2009
- 10 killed in Pakistan suicide bombing (Lead) - Mar 05, 2010
- 10 die in Afghanistan airport suicide blast - Feb 27, 2012
- 18 security men among 20 killed in Hangu attack - Apr 18, 2009
- Five blasts rock Pakistan (Second Lead) - Jan 29, 2011
- More blasts in Pakistan, three killed (Lead) - Jan 13, 2011
- Suicide bomber kills 20 at Shia trust-run hospital in Hangu - Dec 11, 2010
- Violent incidents in Pakistan since Osama's killing - May 23, 2011
- 10 dead, 12 wounded in Afghan airport bombing (Lead) - Feb 27, 2012
Tags: army post, car bomber, checkpoint, civilians, critical condition, deputy police, explosives, farid khan, government officials, militants, military convoy, military hospital, northwestern pakistan, police official, police superintendent, police van, security forces, security personnel, security wall, several attacks