1.8 million people attended Obamas inaugurationJanuary 22nd, 2009 - 2:26 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Jan.22 (ANI): 1.8 million people attended President Barack Obamas inauguration as Americas head of state, an official estimate has revealed.
According to the Washington Post, D.C. Mayor Adrian M. Fenty’’s office cited the 1.8 million figure, which eclipses the 1.2 million official tally from the 1965 inauguration of Lyndon Johnson. Mafara Hobson, Fenty’’s spokeswoman, described the count as a “collective decision” reached Tuesday inside the city’’s joint operations command center, where dozens of local and federal agencies were helping to coordinate security and traffic management.
She said it was based on information collected by several cameras and individuals on the ground.
“The 1.8 [million] was communicated out to the mayor’’s office and other agencies,” she said.
The National Park Service, which has been barred from making estimates since its count of 400,000 at the 1995 Million Man March drew the threat of a lawsuit, issued a statement yesterday saying it would “not contest” the 1.8 million estimate.
“We do firmly believe that the crowd that was there was the biggest crowd ever, and I think that’’s what people are most interested in,” Park Service spokesman David Barna said.
“We don”t have anything that suggests there was ever a bigger crowd,” he added. But two separate experts said after viewing a satellite image of the event that the estimate was inflated. They put the number as low as 750,000 or 1.27 million, excluding the parade route and city streets. (ANI)
- Four million expected for Obama''s inauguration - Nov 18, 2008
- Obama team still raising cash - now for the big day - Nov 19, 2008
- Washington prepares for crush of Obama-mania - Jan 16, 2009
- Bush declares inauguration venue in Washington an area under ''emergency'' - Jan 15, 2009
- Former Anna University chief's residence raided - Mar 16, 2012
- India's IT hub boards Metro, finally - Oct 20, 2011
- Spectators cant attend both Obamas swearing-in and inaugural parade - Jan 15, 2009
- Crowd estimate reduced by half for Obamas swearing-in ceremony - Dec 22, 2008
- 'Despicable Me' beats 'Eclipse' to top box office - Jul 12, 2010
- Let civic agency manage Delhi's water supply: Mayor - Jul 06, 2012
- D.C. Mayor Fenty "deeply saddened" by shooting at Holocaust museum - Jun 11, 2009
- Adrian Fenty Beaten By Fellow Democrat Vincent C. Gray In The Race To Nomination For Mayor - Sep 15, 2010
- Power outage cripples Delhi Metro, thousands hit (Fourth Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Tyeb Mehta, Khoj, Pakistani art to lead Christie's Asian sale (With Image) - May 30, 2012
- 'Obama crowd the biggest in Washington' - Jan 21, 2009
Tags: barna, city streets, collective decision, crowd, eclipses, fenty, head of state, hobson, inauguration, joint operations, lyndon johnson, million man march, national park service, operations command, parade route, satellite image, spokeswoman, tally, traffic management, washington post