18 militants, six soldiers killed in Afghanistan clashMay 30th, 2009 - 9:15 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, May 30 (Xinhua) Twenty-four people, including 18 suspected Taliban insurgents, were killed as fighting flared up in Afghanistan’s northwest Badghis province, its governor said Saturday.
“Taliban fighters ambushed a unit of national army soldiers in Balamurghab district Friday and troops returned fire, leaving 18 Taliban rebels dead,” Governor Dulbar Jan Arman told Xinhua.
Six Afghan soldiers were killed in the firefight lasted for several hours, he added.
Several Taliban insurgents and five Afghan troopers were injured in the incident, he added.
The Taliban has yet to make a comment on the incident.
The insurgents have recently vowed to launch a spring offensive and speed up attacks against Afghan and US-led forces based in Afghanistan.
- NATO soldier killed in Afghan insurgent attack - Nov 12, 2011
- 17 insurgents killed in Afghanistan - May 01, 2011
- Eight die as Taliban attack Afghan governor - Sep 03, 2012
- Four NATO soldiers die in southern Afghanistan - May 12, 2012
- 18 militants killed in Afghanistan - Sep 18, 2011
- Afghan troops kill six Taliban militants - Jun 01, 2009
- Nearly 40 dead in Afghan violence - Aug 09, 2012
- NATO soldier killed in Afghan attack - Jan 22, 2012
- 11 militants killed in Afghanistan - Aug 06, 2011
- Seven militants killed in Afghanstan - Mar 18, 2012
- Afghan terror attack ends: 48 dead, 65 injured (Second Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- Militants kill 11 in Afghanistan - Jun 06, 2011
- 95 killed in Afghan poll violence (Lead) - Sep 18, 2010
- 20 Taliban militants killed - Jun 24, 2012
- 37 NATO soldiers killed in Afghanistan this year - Aug 13, 2012