18 killed in Mexico drug shootoutJune 8th, 2009 - 8:30 am ICT by IANS
Mexico City, June 8 (IANS) At least 18 people were killed in a gun battle between the military and suspected members of a drug gang in Mexico’s resort city of Acapulco, the defence ministry said Sunday.
Two soldiers and 16 gunmen were killed in the shootout that began Saturday night after the army raided an area in the Las Playas neighbourhood following a tip-off about the presence of the drug cartel members, EFE reported.
Nine military officers were wounded in the clash, in which 200 soldiers were involved. Five other gunmen were also arrested.
Army troops arrested five gunmen, and seized huge cache of arms and ammunitions and eight vehicles from the attackers, who were believed to be the members of the Beltran Leyva cartel.
Acapulco, one of the main tourist resorts along Mexico’s Pacific coast, is located about 400 km south of Mexico City.
Mexico has been plagued in recent years by drug-related violence, with powerful cartels battling each other and the security forces, as rival gangs vie for control of lucrative smuggling and distribution routes.
Armed groups linked to Mexico’s drug cartels murdered around 1,500 people in 2006 and 2,700 people in 2007, with the 2008 death toll soaring to more than 6,000.
So far this year, according to media reports, more than 2,700 people have died in organised crimes.
Last year, there were 6,290 deaths in clashes between Mexico’s drug gangs, and between drug gangs and the military, according to official figures.
- Two dismembered bodies found outside Mexican bar - Dec 28, 2010
- 24 killed in Mexico violence - Jan 09, 2011
- Shootout in Mexican city leaves 7 dead - Sep 25, 2010
- Two dead after clashes between soldiers and gunmen in central Mexico - Feb 25, 2011
- First woman joins Mexican navy's special forces - Dec 12, 2011
- Two tonnes of marijuana found in Mexican cemetery - Jul 30, 2012
- Four bullet-riddled bodies found in Mexico - Aug 09, 2010
- 13 die in Mexico shootout - May 16, 2011
- Mexican gunman accused of over 100 killings arrested - Dec 21, 2009
- Six gunmen killed in clash in Mexico - Mar 27, 2010
- Cartels have been weakened, says Mexican government - Dec 27, 2010
- Nine bodies found on Mexican highway - Aug 21, 2011
- 20 dead in Mexico bar attack - Jul 09, 2011
- Gunmen kill eight in Mexico - Apr 20, 2009
- Ten dead in Mexico's drug wars - Aug 16, 2010
Tags: ammunitions, army troops, beltran, clashes, death toll, defence ministry, distribution routes, drug cartel, drug cartels, drug gang, drug gangs, gun battle, gunmen, las playas, mexico city, military officers, rival gangs, s pacific, tourist resorts, two soldiers