18 killed, 86 injured in attacks across IraqJune 18th, 2010 - 11:09 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad, June 18 (DPA) At least 18 people were killed and 86 injured Friday in separate attacks across Iraq, police sources said.
Seven people were killed and 48 injured when a car bomb exploded in the northern Iraqi city of Kirkuk. The car bomb went off near the house of the deputy governor of the Salah al-Din province, a source from the Kirkuk police said.
Police discovered another car bomb that was parked nearby and defused it before it went off.
Another car bomb in the al-Muallemin area of central Baquba, which lies 57 kilometres northeast of Baghdad, left three civilians killed and 31 others injured.
The car was parked near a police officer’s home, but he escaped unharmed because he was outside the house.
Earlier Friday, unidentified gunmen killed a four-member family when they broke into their house near the Abu Ghreib area. The gunmen killed the father, the pregnant mother and their two children, a source told DPA.
Two rockets that fell on houses in the same area left another four people dead and seven injured, he added.
Meanwhile, the chief of the Awakening Councils’ tribal security force in Diyala province, Hossam al-Majmaai, survived an attack during which an explosive device went off targeting his vehicle.
Explosives experts defused another bomb that was on the same road, south-west of Diyala’s capital, Baquba, a media spokesman in the council said.
This is the fifth assassination attempt on al-Majmaai since the councils were established in 2009.
The Awakening Councils, or Sahwa, are made up of Sunni fighters who supported the government in its fight against al-Qaeda and helped restore order in the country.
- Eight killed in Iraq attacks - Jun 18, 2010
- 6 killed in Iraq violence - Aug 25, 2012
- Five Iraqi soldiers killed in separate attacks - Sep 05, 2012
- 6 killed, 10 wounded in Iraq attacks - Apr 16, 2012
- Eight killed, 25 injured in Iraq blasts - Jul 20, 2010
- 52 killed in series of attacks across Iraq - Sep 09, 2012
- 30 wounded in Iraq bombings - Sep 09, 2012
- Three killed, nine injured in Iraq - Apr 30, 2012
- 17 killed in two Iraq attacks - Dec 01, 2011
- One killed in sticky bomb attack in Iraq - Nov 21, 2011
- Iraq official survives bomb attack - Apr 22, 2012
- 2 killed, 16 injured in attacks in Iraq - Nov 13, 2011
- 50 killed, hundreds injured in Iraq attacks (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Nine killed, 21 injured in Iraq - Aug 08, 2011
- Nine wounded in Iraq bomb attacks - May 17, 2012
Tags: abu ghreib, assassination attempt, baquba, car bomb, deputy governor, dpa, explosive device, explosives experts, iraq baghdad, iraqi city, kilometres, member family, police officer, police sources, pregnant mother, rockets, sahwa, salah al din, security force, unidentified gunmen