18 Indian fishermen rescued by Sri Lankan navyDecember 22nd, 2011 - 5:06 am ICT by IANS
Colombo, Dec 22 (IANS) Eighteen Indian fishermen whose boats were caught in rough sea were rescued by the Sri Lankan navy, an official said.
The navy rescued 12 fishermen off Delft island while six others were rescued off Analative island. They were later handed over to the police after being provided food and medicine, navy spokesman Kosala Warnakulasuriya told Xinhua.
Warnakulasuriya said that this was “an instance where Indian fishermen were saved by Sri Lanka’s navy despite allegations by Indian media accusing Sri Lanka of unleashing violence on Indian fishermen”.
Representatives from foreign ministries, coast guards and navies from India and Sri Lanka are scheduled to meet in the island nation Jan 13-14 to discuss issues related to fishing in shared waters, the report said.
- 232 Sri Lankans held while illegally migrating - Jul 16, 2012
- Sri Lankan Navy arrests Australia-bound asylum seekers - Aug 20, 2012
- Chinese fishermen detained in Sri Lanka released - Aug 07, 2012
- Indian fishermen to be freed soon: Sri Lanka - Jun 23, 2011
- India raises stone-pelting on Indian fishermen with Sri Lanka - Jan 23, 2012
- Move to stop attacks on fishermen: Jayalalithaa, Karunanidhi - Aug 20, 2012
- India releases Sri Lankan boats, fishermen - Aug 06, 2012
- Sri Lanka to establish warning system for n-disasters - Jun 30, 2012
- Sri Lanka releases 136 Indian fishermen - Feb 18, 2011
- Prime Minister asked to take up fishermen arrest issue with Sri Lanka - Jul 23, 2012
- Take up fishermen harassment issue with Sri Lankan government: Jayalalithaa - Jun 28, 2012
- India asks Sri Lanka to free fishermen - Jul 26, 2012
- India-Sri Lanka joint sea patrolling sought - Mar 29, 2012
- Sri Lanka releases Indian fishermen (Lead, changing dateline) - Feb 18, 2011
- Ten Sri Lankan fishermen arrested off Andhra coast - May 30, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,