170 dead in typhoon in Philippines (Lead)December 17th, 2011 - 5:33 pm ICT by IANS
Manila, Dec 17 (IANS) At least 170 people have died and hundreds of others are missing after tropical storm Washin Saturday struck southern Philippines, officials said.
The storm caused massive flooding in the Mindanao region overnight, Xinhua reported. The toll is expected to rise.
At least 97 people have died in the Misamis and Cagayan de Oro areas, while 125 others were missing at these places, said Leopold Galon, one of the spokesmen for the Philippines armed forces. He said about 2,000 others were rescued.
Military trucks, boats, helicopters and ground troops have been deployed in the two areas for search operations.
In Western Mindanao, 75 people have died, said Western Mindanao command spokesman Randolph Cabangbang, adding that 15 people were rescued at sea, while 250 others were missing.
“We gave him (President Benigno Aquino III) a briefing on what happened and he instructed us to bring assistance to the victims,” said Benito Ramos, administrator of the office of civil defence.
“The flooding occurred around 2.30 a.m when the people were sleeping. The rains caused the silted river system to overflow,” Ramos added.
- Philippines typhoon toll rises to 327 - Dec 18, 2011
- Philippine typhoon toll crosses 490 (Lead) - Dec 18, 2011
- Philippine rat fever toll reaches 15 - Jan 05, 2012
- 50 dead in storm, floods in Philippines - Dec 17, 2011
- 90 die in Philippines floods - Aug 13, 2012
- Philippines typhoon toll reaches 43 - Sep 30, 2011
- UN helps children in storm-hit Philippines - Dec 29, 2011
- Powerful earthquake strikes the Philippines, killing at least 7 - Feb 06, 2012
- Philippines declares outbreak of deadly rat fever - Jan 03, 2012
- Typhoon Megi makes landfall in Philippines with winds of 140 mph - Oct 18, 2010
- UN chief condoles Philippines typhoon victims - Dec 20, 2011
- Typhoon Saola claims 41 lives in Philippines - Aug 04, 2012
- Obama condoles loss of lives in the Philippines typhoon - Dec 20, 2011
- At least 11 killed as Super Typhoon Megi hits the Philippines - Oct 19, 2010
- Some Philippines bus hostages may have been shot dead by "friendly fire" - Sep 10, 2010
Tags: benigno aquino iii, cagayan de oro, civil defence, galon, ground troops, helicopters, leopold, massive flooding, military trucks, mindanao region, overflow, search operations, southern philippines, spokesman, spokesmen, tropical storm, two areas, typhoon in philippines, western mindanao, xinhua