17 Tajik security officers killedJuly 28th, 2012 - 10:54 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, July 28 (IANS/RIA Novosti) At least 17 Tajik security officers have been killed during a special operation against a mafia-style group in eastern Tajikistan, an official said Saturday.
According to the Tajik Prosecutor General’s Office, the group is believed to be behind the murder of a top Tajik security general.
It said one civilian was killed and dozens were injured in the operation.
But the opposition media reported over 200 dead, including security officers and civilians.
Over 30 militants, including eight Afghan nationals, were killed and 40 were detained during the operation in Tajikistan’s Gorno-Badakhshan region following the murder of Abdullo Nazarov, chief of the Tajikistan National Security Committee, who was killed July 21.
Tajikistan has closed all crossing points on the border with Afghanistan amid a controversial armed conflict.
- Suicide bomber targets Kazakh state security building - May 17, 2011
- Three militants killed in Dagestan - Jun 11, 2011
- Six killed as inmates escape Tajik prison - Aug 23, 2010
- Ukrainian court jails radioactive metal thieves - Aug 28, 2012
- NATO extends mission in Libya - Jun 01, 2011
- Uzbekistan suspends mobile, internet, SMSes for exams - Aug 01, 2012
- Russia suspends Syria action group meet - Aug 17, 2012
- 50 killed at Yemen military parade - May 21, 2012
- Pussy Riot members found guilty in Russia - Aug 17, 2012
- Three bombs defused in Russia's North Caucasus - May 23, 2011
- 'Bribery most common corrupt practice in Russia' - Dec 23, 2011
- 19 injured in Afghan mosque blast - Aug 03, 2012
- Turkey mulls buffer zone on Syrian border - Jun 11, 2011
- Three held for killing Russian Santa Claus - Jan 03, 2012
- Russian professors jailed for selling missile secrets to China - Jun 20, 2012
Tags: afghanistan, armed conflict, badakhshan, civilians, dg, dozens, eastern tajikistan, gorno, mafia style, militants, moscow, national security committee, nationals, opposition media, prosecutor general, ria novosti, security officers, style group, tajik