17 killed in US plane crash (Lead)March 23rd, 2009 - 7:14 am ICT by IANS
Washington, March 23 (Xinhua) A small passenger plane crashed Sunday afternoon in the western US state of Montana, killing an estimated 17 people including a number of children, federal officials said.
Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) spokesman Mike Fergus told reporters that preliminary reports indicate many of the victims are children.
“We think that it was probably a ski trip for the kids,” Fergus said.
The single-engine propeller plane was traveling from Oroville, California to Bozeman in Montana before it crashed into Holy Cross cemetery, he said.
Fergus said the pilot had filed a flight plan showing a final destination of Bozeman, but he had canceled his flight plan at some point and headed for Butte.
The plane crashed about 150 meters from the airport while attempting to land and caught fire.
There were no known fatalities on the ground.
An eyewitness to the crash told the Montana Standard newspaper that the plane was doing steep angle turns and then went into a nose dive.
“All of a sudden the pilot lost control and went into a nose dive,” said Kenny Gulick. “He couldn’t pull out in time and crashed into the trees of the cemetery.”
- 17 killed in US plane crash - Mar 23, 2009
- Montana crash kills 14, including seven kids - Mar 23, 2009
- Many dead after planes crash in Montana and Tokyo - Mar 23, 2009
- Two killed in small plane crash in US - Feb 22, 2012
- Three killed in US plane crash - Jul 25, 2011
- Pilot injured after small plane crashes near Lincoln County, Oklahoma airport - May 07, 2010
- Brit-Indian trainee pilot killed in US plane crash - Oct 04, 2010
- Two killed in US plane crash - May 10, 2010
- Indian American banker dies in US plane crash (Third Lead) - Dec 21, 2011
- Pilot dies after mid air collision in UK - Jul 05, 2011
- Two killed in Russian trainer plane crash - Dec 04, 2011
- Two dead in small plane crash in Austria - Aug 22, 2011
- Indian-origin man among five dead in US plane crash (Lead) - Dec 21, 2011
- Indian-American doctor couple killed in Ohio plane crash - Jun 20, 2011
- Small plane crashes in Buckeye, Arizona; no injuries - Apr 23, 2010
Tags: faa spokesman, federal aviation administration, federal officials, final destination, flight plan, gulick, holy cross cemetery, mike fergus, montana standard, nose dive, oroville california, passenger plane, pilot, plane crash, propeller plane, ski trip, state of montana, steep angle, sunday afternoon, xinhua