17 killed in two Iraq attacksDecember 1st, 2011 - 7:11 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad, Dec 1 (IANS) At least 17 people were killed and more than 35 others injured Thursday in a deadly car bombing and shooting in Iraq, police said.
A car bomb exploded at a crowded vegetable market in Khalis near Baquba, the provincial capital of Diyala, some 65 km from Baghdad, killing nine people and wounding 30 others, a police official told Xinhua. Several shops and cars were damaged.
In the other attack, gunmen broke into the houses of two brothers, one of them a member of a local anti-insurgent group, in the al-Jeel, 20 km from Baquba, killing eight people and wounding four others, the official said.
The attackers later planted a bomb on the road leading to the two houses and detonated it when a police force arrived at the scene of the first attack. Two policemen were wounded, he said.
Diyala province, which stretches from the eastern edges of Baghdad to the Iranian border east of the country, has long been a stronghold of Al Qaeda militants.
- 30 wounded in Iraq bombings - Sep 09, 2012
- 6 killed, 10 wounded in Iraq attacks - Apr 16, 2012
- Nine killed, 21 injured in Iraq - Aug 08, 2011
- Iraq official survives bomb attack - Apr 22, 2012
- Three killed, nine injured in Iraq - Apr 30, 2012
- Two policemen killed in Iraq bombings - Mar 09, 2012
- Five Iraqi soldiers killed in separate attacks - Sep 05, 2012
- 6 killed in Iraq violence - Aug 25, 2012
- Six killed in Iraq attacks - Jan 23, 2012
- 25 killed, over 170 wounded in Iraq attacks - Mar 20, 2012
- One killed in sticky bomb attack in Iraq - Nov 21, 2011
- 20 killed, 64 wounded in attacks in Baghdad - Feb 23, 2012
- Five killed in Iraq violence - May 24, 2012
- 43 killed, over 190 wounded in Iraq bomb attacks (Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- 11 soldiers killed in Iraq car bombing - Mar 14, 2011
Tags: al qaeda militants, attackers, baquba, car bomb, car bombing, deadly car, eastern edges, gunmen, insurgent group, iranian border, iraq attacks, jeel, police force, police official, policemen, provincial capital, stronghold, two brothers, vegetable market, xinhua