17 Indians on death row to be freedSeptember 12th, 2011 - 11:35 pm ICT by IANS
Dubai, Sep 12 (IANS) Seventeen Indian nationals, originally sentenced to death by a Sharjah court for the murder of a Pakistani man, are expected to be released from jail within a few days after a ruling Monday by a court of appeal.
Misri Nazir Khan was beaten to death in Sharjah in January 2009, in a fight over bootlegged liquor. The Indian men were found guilty in March 2010 by a court in Sharjah, The National newspaper reported.
Later, an Indian philanthropist S.P. Singh and other donors paid blood money amounting to almost 3.4 million dirhams (around $925,000) to the family of the victim in July.
In accordance with the law, the court reduced their sentences from death penalty to two years in prison followed by deportation.
Because the Indians have already spent almost three years in jail, they are likely to be released within 10 days, their lawyer Abdullah Salman said.
The prisoners greeted the news with delight, waving to friends and family members who had gathered in the courtroom.
- 17 Indian youth on death row in UAE to walk free - Jul 27, 2011
- 'Indian youths on Sharjah death row could return May' - Feb 22, 2012
- Hope for Indian men on death row in Sharjah - Jul 20, 2011
- We won't pay blood money, say Indians on UAE death row (Third Lead) - Dec 31, 2010
- Blood money paid, three Indians saved from gallows (Lead) - May 31, 2011
- Indians on death row in UAE: Victim's family ready for blood money (Lead) - Dec 31, 2010
- No need for blood money, say families of Indians on UAE death row - Dec 31, 2010
- Indians on death row in UAE refuse to settle case with blood money (Second Lead) - Dec 31, 2010
- Blood money paid, 3 Punjabi youths return home from Dubai - May 31, 2011
- Russian expert who sold rocket secrets to China freed - Jun 19, 2012
- Indians on death row in UAE refuse settlement proposal - Dec 31, 2010
- UAE court adjourns hearing of 17 Indians on death row - Jun 16, 2010
- Six Pakistanis get life terms for killing Indian guard in Dubai - Feb 08, 2011
- Indians on death row: Victim's family ready for blood money - Dec 31, 2010
- 17 Indians sentenced to death for murder in UAE - Mar 29, 2010
Tags: accordance with the law, blood money, court of appeal, courtroom, death penalty, death row, deportation, dirhams, donors, family members, few days, indian men, indian nationals, indians, liquor, nazir, pakistani man, philanthropist, prisoners, sentences