17 feared dead as copter falls into frigid AtlanticMarch 13th, 2009 - 5:29 pm ICT by ANI
Ontario (Canada), Mar.13 (ANI): At least 17 people, including 16 offshore oil rig workers, are feared dead after their helicopter fell in to the frigid waters of the Atlantic Ocean on Thursday.
According to a Globe and Mail report, the helicopter had flown out of St. John’’s, and was hit by mechanical problems half-an-hour later above the choppy seas of the North Atlantic. One person was rescued and one fatality confirmed.
Earlier, the pilot decided to turn back, and at 9:18 a.m. local time, as the unspecified problem persisted, the first mayday call went out. The pilot attempted to ditch the Sikorsky S-92 which also carried a co-pilot and 16 offshore-oil-rig workers and land it in the water.
Ten minutes later, a search aircraft spotted the helicopter, lying upside down in the frigid Atlantic.
When rescue helicopters arrived another 35 minutes later, the doomed helicopter had sunk beneath the waves.
Two life rafts floated nearby and were empty.
The lone survivor was identified as 30-year-old Robert Decker, was scooped from the water shortly after the crash. He was listed in critical but stable condition last night at a St. John’’s hospital.
Decker worked for Provincial Aerospace Ltd., which does ice surveillance for the offshore platforms.
The one man confirmed dead worked for the same company and was on his first trip to the rig. (ANI)
- Canadian chopper crashes into Atlantic, 16 missing (Lead) - Mar 13, 2009
- Prince William undertakes first air-sea rescue mission with RAF - Oct 06, 2010
- Sikorsky delivers VIP chopper to Maharashtra - Dec 29, 2011
- Sikorsky to display chopper with Made in India cabin - Mar 20, 2012
- Sikorsky delivers passenger chopper to Maharashtra (With images) - Dec 29, 2011
- Helicopter crashes near Gulf of Mexico oil rig platform - May 29, 2012
- 13 rescued after Gulf of Mexico oil rig explosion - Sep 03, 2010
- First Tata-made Sikorsky S-92 helicopter airframe flies (With Images) - Aug 20, 2012
- One killed, 16 missing in Canada chopper crash - Mar 13, 2009
- U.S. pilot among three killed in small plane crash in Indonesia - Sep 22, 2011
- China begins drilling in South China Sea - May 09, 2012
- Tata unveils first cabin for Sikrosky-92 helicopter (Lead) - Nov 07, 2010
- Helicopter crash in south-central Indonesia kills 2 - Sep 26, 2011
- British chopper crashes at sea - May 10, 2012
- Three die in Iran police chopper crash - Dec 24, 2011
Tags: aerospace ltd, atlantic ocean, choppy seas, co pilot, fatality, first trip, frigid waters, globe and mail, life rafts, lone survivor, mail report, mayday, mechanical problems, offshore oil rig, offshore platforms, rescue helicopters, s hospital, search aircraft, sikorsky s 92, stable condition