16-year-old charged in Wisconsin murder of elderly SikhAugust 18th, 2012 - 10:30 am ICT by IANS
Milwaukee (Wisconsin), Aug 18 (IANS) A 16-year-old felon from Milwaukee has been charged with the fatal shooting of Dalbir Singh, a member of the Oak Creek gurdwara where six worshippers were gunned down Aug 5.
According to the criminal complaint, Deangelo Williams shot and killed Dalbir Singh at Harmony Food Store, owned by his nephew Jatinder Singh, on Wednesday around 9.15 p.m., according to local TV station TMJ4.
Jatinder Singh, who was with his uncle during the shooting, told police he was closing up the store Wednesday night when he allegedly saw Williams point a gun at his uncle near the rear door.
Jatinder Singh and Dalbir Singh then ran back inside the store and held the door in such a way that shielded the suspect from getting in.
Then Jatinder Singh claims the suspect fired a gun through the door and it struck Dalbir Singh in the head. Dalbir Singh was pronounced dead at the scene.
Jatinder Singh said that Williams was in the store earlier that evening, walked around and didn’t buy anything. Authorities say that Jatinder Singh positively identified Williams from a photo array.
Williams has been charged of first-degree reckless homicide with use of a dangerous weapon and possession of a firearm by a felon. Those charges could result in a maximum of 75 years in prison, TMJ4 said.
According to Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Dalbir Singh was not at the Oak Creek Sikh gurdwara during the Aug 5 shooting. Jatinder Singh was there but left before alleged white supremacist Wade Michael Page shot and killed six people.
The Milwaukee County District Attorney’s office has confirmed that Williams has been arrested, TMJ4 said. Williams was previously found guilty of robbery in June.
- Wisconsin gurdwara member shot dead - Aug 17, 2012
- Gurdwara gunman shot himself in head: FBI - Aug 09, 2012
- Michelle Obama meets with gurdwara victims - Aug 24, 2012
- Gurdwara shooter acted alone: FBI - Aug 09, 2012
- Gurdwara shooting: FBI looks for motive, India shocked (Fourth Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Gurdwara shooting gunman identified as ex-soldier (Fourth Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Gurdwara gunshots heard in phone calls for help - Aug 16, 2012
- Several injured in shooting at US gurudwara - Aug 06, 2012
- US sleuth links gurdwara shooting with Sikh murders - Aug 18, 2012
- Ex-US soldier kills six in gurdwara, India outraged (Roundup) - Aug 06, 2012
- Hundreds honour US gurdwara shooting victims - Aug 11, 2012
- Gurdwara chief, priests among US shooting victims - Aug 06, 2012
- Gurdwara shooting: FBI hunts for motive (Second Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Michelle Obama to meet gurdwara shooting victims' families (Lead) - Aug 19, 2012
- Gurdwara shooting: Subject down! Subject down!, yelled cop - Aug 06, 2012
Tags: county district attorney, criminal complaint, dangerous weapon, felon, first degree, food store, harmony, local tv station, milwaukee county district attorney, milwaukee journal sentinel, milwaukee wisconsin, nephew, photo array, reckless homicide, robbery, sikh gurdwara, tmj4, wednesday night, white supremacist, worshippers