16-year jail for official in Shanghai fire incidentAugust 2nd, 2011 - 9:00 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 2 (IANS) A district official in China was Tuesday sentenced to 16 years in prison in a case related to a fire in a high-rise building in Shanghai city last year, Xinhua reported.
The accident left 58 people dead and 71 injured.
Gao Weizhong, former director with the construction and transport committee of Jing’an district, received the sentence for abuse of authority and corruption, according to the verdict issued by an intermediate people’s court of Shanghai municipality.
The fire, which occurred last November on Jiaozhou road, engulfed the 28-storey building which was being renovated at that time. The blaze was started by sparks from welding torches, which ignited nylon netting and scaffolding.
- Shanghai district official sentenced to 16 years in prison over deadly high-rise fire - Aug 02, 2011
- 42 killed in Shanghai high-rise blaze (Lead) - Nov 15, 2010
- Eight arrested in Shanghai high-rise building fire that killed 53 - Nov 16, 2010
- Eight dead in Shanghai building fire - Nov 15, 2010
- Skyscraper catches fire in Shanghai - Nov 15, 2010
- Four held as Shanghai blaze toll rises to 53 (Lead) - Nov 16, 2010
- 26 held responsible for Shanghai inferno - Jun 25, 2011
- 'Shanghai high-rise apartment building fire could have been completely avoided' - Nov 18, 2010
- Shanghai fire toll rises to 53 - Nov 16, 2010
- Seven charged with causing deadly China fire - Jul 25, 2011
- Bodies of 26 Shanghai fire victims identified - Nov 17, 2010
- Inferno at Shanghai high-rise building kills 42, injures nearly 100 - Nov 15, 2010
- At least 12 dead, nearly 100 injured as fire engulfs Shanghai skyscraper - Nov 15, 2010
- Shanghai residents ill-prepared for fire, shows survey - Nov 18, 2010
- Nearly 400 officials probed for graft in Shanghai - Dec 31, 2011
Tags: aug 2, beijing, blaze, china, corruption, fire incident, gao, high rise building, last november, nylon, scaffolding, shanghai city, shanghai municipality, sparks, transport committee, welding torches, xinhua